Author Topic: Let's See a Design Map of your Property and all Learn from it  (Read 549 times)

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Let's See a Design Map of your Property and all Learn from it
« on: October 05, 2018, 07:45:03 AM »
Hello, everyone.  Thanks for your help with things I have asked about so far.  I have been looking at allot of different resources to try to figure out how to lay out my new homestead to be a more efficient permaculture based property.  I've been working on drawing up some plans on maps of my property and have been looking at lots of sample maps others have put up on the web.  I would love to see some sort of drawings or maps of how you all have laid out your homesteads.  I'm sure you have come up with some really great ideas with your land.  So, let's see what you're working with.  When you get time, please  post a drawing or map of how you have your land laid out.  Maybe we can all get some ideas from each other on how we can all make improvements  to our land.  I'm still working on my drawings, and I will get something up on this thread soon of what I am thinking for my land. 

This link is a good resource I have been reading on how to draw up maps: https://www.tenthacrefarm.com/2017/04/6-maps-permaculture-farm-design/ 

Let's see your "master plan" as discussed in the link.

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Let's See a Design Map of your Property and all Learn from it
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »
Oh well, I tried.  I thought I might be asking a bit much with that one.  I'll make another thread later to share my plan with you all and see what you all think of my plan.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
it is a great idea for a thread.  but I, for one, have a hard time uploading images and messing with them. ::)

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »
 ;D Thanks.  Oh well, no biggie I tried!

Offline Oakie

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
Thank you for the info shared. I would love to follow your progress.
I've worked a bit backwards without the benefits of overall planning, just finding areas that get light and not too rocky to work. I have buried foundations to work around so just dealing with the obvious and experimenting. I think I'm on the right track. I want a sunroom/greenhouse off my kitchen so will have to determine how useful it could be on East side of house.
Again, thanks for whatever you are willing to share. I love to see other's progress.

Offline Oakie

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »

Well, I'm experimenting a bit but so far unable to upload ariel picture.
I DID have help designing and building swales on a hillside encompassing half my property. I'd like to share if I could. It just does not seem to be working for me. I've been on this property 20+ years so have learned a bit about what works. It would be interesting to follow the model you've shared to help move forward. Sun Mapping is a critical step I need to focus on so will try to make use of the this resource. It does not look too costly to pursue unless I'm missing something.
I hope to follow each step to completion.
I established the perfect garden spot and had a successful couple years. It is not quite zone 1 but I've moved fences to make it more accessible. I added a raised bed kitchen garden but it has not been as productive as I'd hoped. Mostly due to lack of time on my part. Hopefully I will retire in 2 years and the fun will get real!
For now I continue to plant hundreds of trees while trying to figure out exactly what farm equipment would be most useful, affordable and maintainable. I will be able to start some serious pruning this winter and hopefully rent tractor and brush hog to clear some paths and prepare for early March arrival of another 200 trees/shrubs. (I've lost some to neighbors cows, deer and wildfire and simply adding more variety)
Again, thank you for sharing and hope to see how you progress!

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
Thanks, yeah I'll share more as I get rolling with it.  So far doing zone planning has been very helpful.  I drew out circles for distances and put the things I want in each zone.  You're right, sun planning is key too. I haven't done that part yet, but I need to.  There is an ap called Sun Seeker that you can use to map out how much sun you are getting on different areas of your property.  I've messed around with it on one part of my property, and it seems to work.  I need to go do it all over the whole place though.  Give it a shot if you are wanting to do some sun planning.