Author Topic: Go TELE , looks like better than GoTenna  (Read 374 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Go TELE , looks like better than GoTenna
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
It's like APRS slickified up and made practical for the masses.  Not a bad trick.  Wonder what its real range is?  Probably runs in MURS band?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
It's like APRS slickified up and made practical for the masses.  Not a bad trick.  Wonder what its real range is?  Probably runs in MURS band?

I found it on an outdoors video and looked it up...the mentioned 5 to 6 Kilometers range....I know little more about it though they used it as GPS type locator and texted each other at about a mile....looks interesting for outdoor types and has a long....long battery life (48 hours was mentioned)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:44:05 PM »
Not sure how this is better than gotenna or running APRS software on MURS.  They dont fill me with much confidence showing people carrying on belt and not giving specs on antenna. At that height and power distance will be horrible.

That was one advantage of gotenna, really great fractal antennas that they spent a ton of R&D on.  And all the reported app bugs in the comments also doesnt build confidence.

Anyone with hands on experience?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:06:04 PM by iam4liberty »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 05:26:21 AM »
  I was a bit impressed with the GPS and chat functions plus other options...as far as range,as the form and radio used will be effected by height above terrane and little else (Frequency and power have very little effect on range) so I was more impressed with the utility and functions.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:13:47 AM »
  I went back to the video where I saw the gotele in use ,Joe Robinet is a skilled woods-dude and I enjoy his adventures....I have no connection to him or the GOTELE...I just thought it was a more rugged woods communication / locatior device..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H-mHpF09g

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:54:54 AM »
  I went back to the video where I saw the gotele in use ,Joe Robinet is a skilled woods-dude and I enjoy his adventures....I have no connection to him or the GOTELE...I just thought it was a more rugged woods communication / locatior device..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H-mHpF09g
This is clearer.  So two advantages vs gotenna are that it doesnt have to be synced to phone to get GPS read and it provides geo fencing (which is a gotenna pro feature).  But it looks like you give up message security and emergency pass through of messages to SMS.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
This is clearer.  So two advantages vs gotenna are that it doesnt have to be synced to phone to get GPS read and it provides geo fencing (which is a gotenna pro feature).  But it looks like you give up message security and emergency pass through of messages to SMS.

Thanks,I also think GoTele is better armored and better battery life ...but my mind is scrambled with my stronger chemo today...I like the way it tracks partnesr and gives distance/direction (plus overlays maps)   I think it is interesting though have no serious opinion on either unit.

Offline Sailor

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
It looks better, can not really see its use, other than tracking friends in a bike race, or adventure course, something like that.  Relying on that for emergencies is dangerous. 

Two good friends of mine just got back from Denali 3 weeks ago, it was sometimes difficult getting them weather updates via Inreach satellites.  30+ mph winds and snow, iffy reception with the cloud cover.