Author Topic: Looking into buying Fixed 2015 VW TDI  (Read 276 times)

Offline CarbonMind

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Looking into buying Fixed 2015 VW TDI
« on: October 21, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »
I recently heard Volkswagen is fixing their 2015 diesels and selling them with a discount incentive and 0% financing.

I'm still doing some research in my area to find a good deal but in the meantime...

I'd love to hear Jack's, Charles Sanville's, and Steve Harris's opinion on taking advantage of this and on these tdi's in general.

I was in the market for a vehicle and looking for a vw golf or Jetta tdi when dieselgate happened and instead (adding injury to insult) settled on a 2014 Ford Focus.

I'd love to sell off my Focus, pay off the loan, and get a better car with a no interest loan.

I'm even considering dusting off my limited experience driving a manual (getting some time in a stick shift before purchasing) just to get a simpler and less expensive vehicle.

I also freely admit to just liking the idea of having a manual diesel.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Looking into buying Fixed 2015 VW TDI
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 06:29:08 AM »
I heard Eric Peters talking about what a great deal these are on the Tom Woods podcast last week.  Dig around on his web site for contact info: https://www.ericpetersautos.com

BTW, did you ever punch out of NJ?

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 06:57:07 AM »
I heard Eric Peters talking about what a great deal these are on the Tom Woods podcast last week.  Dig around on his web site for contact info: https://www.ericpetersautos.com

BTW, did you ever punch out of NJ?

I heard that interview as well. He made it sound like "dieselgate" wasn't that big a deal. Very interesting talk.

I drove a VW Rabbit for the better part of a decade. I really liked the small size and I'm in general a fan of the Euro hatchback which just can't seem to catch on here. The only concern is what it will cost in time and money to maintain. An oil change on the Mrs.' Toyota took no time and under $20. But VW required 6.5 quarts of Porshe certified oil. It also took that goofy German antifreeze and I once went to 3 auto parts stores to buy an air filter before giving up and ordering on Amazon. So be aware that parts can be expensive and hard to come by. But that's kind of  all German cars.

I will say the most surprising thing was how well it handled snow and ice. Granted I'm a flatlander but that little car could bounce over snow and rareely lost traction even on solid ice. Not as good ass a 4 wheel drive truck but for a small sedan I was impressed. Also VERY handy to park downtown (why I bought it) and the hatch offers more trunk space than you'd think.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 02:08:51 PM »
I drive a 2004 diesel jetta, I have been driving it for about 10 years, I bought it used.  I like it, yes an oil change is expensive, but it averages out as you dont do it very often,  that synthetic oil lasts a long time.  I can bring it to any oil change place locally and have it done, with a discount code usually.  We just got done driving thru the western states for a few weeks on vacation in the jetta, all was good, great mileage as always.  Wish I had a hatchback ro station wagon version   -- I almost forgot, mine is a manual transmission. 

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
I did exactly this.  In April, I purchased a 2015 VW Jetta TDI.  I did not get a special financing rate.  But I did get a car that I really like that gets 42-44 mpg for my long commute.  I have been looking at them for a while and was finally able to find one with just 2,500 miles on it.  I was given a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.  Only things not covered are consumables like tires and wipers.

I figure that the previous owner purchased the vehicle right before they started the buy-back program.