Author Topic: WASPS  (Read 2385 times)

Offline agentcooper

• Prepper
WASPS
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:53:06 PM »
Our new home has wasps everywhere, possibly even in our vents.  Anyone know a natural repellent? 

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: WASPS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »
This time of year? 

More info might help generate replies.

Where are you located?

What type of wasps, the paper nest builders or the "dirt dobbers" or ?

What are the vents you are referring to?

Offline Ori

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »
When we first moved into our house, it was filled with ladybugs.  Dead ladybugs, live ladybugs, ladybugs that appeared first one, then the other... it was crazy.  We just kept shoveling them outside and eventually, the problem solved itself.  Of course, ladybugs don't sting, at at worst, are a minor irritant (and at best a handy insect predator!) so perhaps it's not the most useful advice...

Is your home new, or just new to you?

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »
Resisting urge to make off-color Asian jokes . . . . :-X  :-X  :-X

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:26:27 AM »
umm, not natural.  Bug Boom the house and caulk the vents and any holes you see in the eaves.

Offline Hans

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:32:09 AM »
Spiders. You need to release spiders to eat the wasps. . . then birds, birds to eat the spiders. . . then cats. . . nevermind. . .

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:33:05 AM »
there have seen some threads about hornets and wasps; these critters are in the same class with snakes with some people.  No matter what you can tell them about the good that comes from having them around they are still determined to nuke nests that are 25 ft off the ground (must be in the dna).

I leave them alone unless they are where a person or pet could possibly disturb them and receive a wave of stings. 

Still, here are some ideas:

http://www.eartheasy.com/live_natwasp_control.htm

Offline scoop

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 08:52:56 AM »
Scorpions are my nemesis. I hate scorpions.
Now that the weather is getting nice, they're coming out. Found two last night in the backyard and on the garage door.
I take a black light flashlight and go "Bug Hunting" at night, when I say bug hunt the dog perks up and can't wait to come along. She doesn't actually bug hunt, she just snoops around looking for that pesky wabbit.

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 07:01:03 AM »
Do you have an ID?  It matters whether they are comb building, paper wasps, or ground wasps.  If you have a pump sprayer, I would recommend Temprid at 1oz/gal, spray around the house 2' up from the ground and 3' out.  Then spray the eves and vents.  On the inside, up in the attic and down in the crawlspace, use a bulb duster to spread Delta Dust.  You want to put Dust where there will be very little human activity, no moisture, and no sunlight.  It is great as a block in those hiding areas and the only thing that really works on arachnids since arachnids dont normally clean their feet the way insects do.  So you have to clog their breathing spicules to get them to groom and thus ingest the poison.  I would feel comfortable doing this at my own home, around my kids and pets, i just wouldnt let them play around the edge of the house for a couple of hours.