Author Topic: Sea forts  (Read 373 times)

Offline Gamer

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Sea forts
« on: October 25, 2018, 02:40:30 AM »
As a matter of interest, do members think that living on an abandoned sea fort like these around the Brit coast would be a feasible idea in a post-apocalyptic world?
(I'm assuming the mainland has been ravaged by plague and/or radiation etc and is therefore a dangerous no-go zone)
Questions-
1- We could probably catch enough fish to eat, but is an all-fish diet going to provide us with enough vitamins/proteins to stay healthy?
2- How about a roof garden to grow vegetables, how many people could it support?
3- There'd be no firewood for cooking, so could we eat fish and veg raw?
4- What would we do for heating and lighting?
5- We could hopefully trap some rainwater, but are there also gadgets around to make seawater drinkable by filtering out the salt?
6- Are there any other aspects of fort living that need discussing?

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
Re: Sea forts
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
1. All fish/sea creature diet wouldn't be sufficient on it's own.  I think you'd have some issues with scurvy among other things.
2. Where's the dirt from the rooftop garden coming from?  I don't know how big those structures are but trying to grow all your veggies for more than a few people would probably be difficult.  That's not even taking into account the winds on the sea, or the fact that the UK is generally cold, rainy, and overcast.
3.  You can eat veggies raw, no problem.  You can eat fish raw, but you're taking a risk of parasites.
4.  Solar light or wind power if you're planning ahead.  No idea what you'd do for heating.
5.  Distillation can make seawater drinkable, but it requires fuel to heat the water.  You can distill water via solar distillation, but that's something you'd need to plan for before everything went bad.
6.  Land fort would be a lot more preferable to a sea fort, at least in my opinion.  What would you do about waste removal?  Some sort of composting setup?  Would you connect the forts with bridges or something so you could easily go between them?

Offline Gamer

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 09:41:12 AM »
Thanks, I forgot to mention that the sea fort living idea is not mine, it's somebody elses in another forum and I've told him what you said.
I agree with you that land living would be far more preferable..:)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »
I'd bet there would be plenty of drift wood that could be gathered.  Maybe some sort of trap that would catch any drift wood floating by.

Could probably bring in something like coconut husk for grow media.  Solar or wind to generate power, plenty of wind out on the ocean.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 05:18:08 PM »
Do a search on "watermakers" as used on longer-distance sailboats.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 09:32:24 AM »
It's been done before...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

I recall watching a BBC (forgive me I forget the channel because I'm a filthy American) show about a young man who tried to have his apartment flat declared a sovereign territory. It was largely a joke but it was more in the vein of spoofing government and a comedic process of trying to buy a tank and incur national debt in the form of not paying a phone bill. I'll look...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Start_Your_Own_Country

And found it. It's a painfully funny show if you (like me) really love British humor. There's a lot of goofy exploration of "micronations" which are run by exactly the type you imagine.

I did, once, help my sister figure out if buying a lighthouse made sense. It was a once in a lifetime thing where she could have bought it and NEVER PAID PROPERTY TAXES but the reality of dealing with it was too hard. When you live that way you either have enough money that nothing matters or you are a welder/mason/electrician/plumber/etc. Beyond that you kind of live in maritime law and things get odd very fast. If someone breaks into your house you can't call the police and it might be considered an international incident.