Author Topic: chainsaw chain: how do you store it  (Read 548 times)

Offline The Morgan Hill Homesteading Project

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
chainsaw chain: how do you store it
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
how do you store chiansaw chain when it is not on the bar of the chainsaw? how do you you want to identify it based of of pitch and how many times it has been sharpened what size bar it does and ECT?

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: chainsaw chain: how do you store it
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 04:20:39 AM »
I just hang them on a peg board in my shop.  I only have two sizes so it’s easy to tell which is which.  I don’t keep track of how often I sharpen them.  I just eyeball them each time I do sharpen them to make sure they’re ok.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Re: chainsaw chain: how do you store it
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:13:40 PM »
For some, I store them in the original packaging. Others, like say a 60 drive link 3/8 pitch chain I have a ton of and I just put them in a coffee can. I really don't care how many times I've sharpened a chain....it doesn't matter. If there is still enough tooth left after sharpening, I toss it back in the "ready for use" pile. If not, it goes in the scrap pile.

If I need to identify pitch, I either compare it to chains on which the pitch is known(original packaging) or I get out my calipers and measure. IIRC, it's not the distance between two rivets, but the distance between the center of three rivets divided by two. In other words, skip the rivet in the middle when making the measurement.

As far as length...that can be easy or hard. I have a lot of different saws and several different lengths. Sometimes the same bar length between two brands of saws requires a chain with a different drive link count. Usually it's only one or two drive links, which can be a real pain to check at a glance. This is why some of my chains get stored in original packaging when possible. Blue painters tape works too. Most of what I use on a regular basis is in the toolbox that is designated for carrying chainsaw stuff.