Author Topic: chainsaw chain: how do you store it  (Read 1185 times)

Offline The Morgan Hill Homesteading Project

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
chainsaw chain: how do you store it
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
how do you store chiansaw chain when it is not on the bar of the chainsaw? how do you you want to identify it based of of pitch and how many times it has been sharpened what size bar it does and ECT?

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: chainsaw chain: how do you store it
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 04:20:39 AM »
I just hang them on a peg board in my shop.  I only have two sizes so it’s easy to tell which is which.  I don’t keep track of how often I sharpen them.  I just eyeball them each time I do sharpen them to make sure they’re ok.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 06:13:40 PM »
For some, I store them in the original packaging. Others, like say a 60 drive link 3/8 pitch chain I have a ton of and I just put them in a coffee can. I really don't care how many times I've sharpened a chain....it doesn't matter. If there is still enough tooth left after sharpening, I toss it back in the "ready for use" pile. If not, it goes in the scrap pile.

If I need to identify pitch, I either compare it to chains on which the pitch is known(original packaging) or I get out my calipers and measure. IIRC, it's not the distance between two rivets, but the distance between the center of three rivets divided by two. In other words, skip the rivet in the middle when making the measurement.

As far as length...that can be easy or hard. I have a lot of different saws and several different lengths. Sometimes the same bar length between two brands of saws requires a chain with a different drive link count. Usually it's only one or two drive links, which can be a real pain to check at a glance. This is why some of my chains get stored in original packaging when possible. Blue painters tape works too. Most of what I use on a regular basis is in the toolbox that is designated for carrying chainsaw stuff.

Offline nocturnal

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 04:22:28 AM »
At home, the sharp ones hang with their corresponding bars on the wall.  The dull ones usually get sharpened immediately, but sometimes they just end up hanging on the vise waiting.
When I'm out cutting they go in the saw box.  Sometimes they are placed in those little cardboard boxes that loops come in, but more often they're wrapped in a rag and tossed in the box.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 06:10:50 PM »
2 saws, same chain except for length. 20 and 24.
If in my saw box, they stay in the original box I got them in.
If storing in the shop, hanging on a nail or peg close to the vise.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 08:26:22 PM »
I only have one saw and two bars.  Of course all have the same 3/8" pitch. Sharpened chains I try to store in their original box until it falls apart.  Then it is just a quart size freezer ziploc bag labeled with Sharpie for length (16" or 20") and if skip tooth (readily apparent but nice to have it labeled so I know which bag to replace it in).  The ziplocs last surprising long time if you are careful inserting and extracting the chain.  If I used them all day long, day after day I would carry them in small plastic bins or something. Used chains are left loose which means they need to be cleaned and sharpened.  If it was a long, wet day I'll throw them into a plastic shopping bag to keep from getting other stuff oily and sawdusted.  I generally take at least 3 16" chains and two 20" chains and their bars with me when cutting a day's firewood.  The extra bar is more for emergency extraction of the 16" bar if I carelessly let it get trapped, occasionally for larger logs.  I like to run my chain fast so I would rather make two-sided cuts with the 16" then a slower single cut with the 20". I rarely sharpen my chain in the woods any more.  I am usually pressed for time after the travel to/from the cutting site so just carry more chains and then sharpen them back in the shop.

I only use a skip chain on the 20" bar when cutting soft mostly clear woods.  I use a regular chain for hardwoods and knotty softwoods.  I have only one safety chain and it has stayed in its box for a looooong time (bought by mistake and long gone from the area of the store when I realized it).  Someday I may try it out but a regular chain works fine for me.

If I had different saws and chain pitches I would use color dots on the ziplocs/boxes to quickly identify them.