Author Topic: Problems with the show zipfiles  (Read 456 times)

Offline Pearl S

• Fledgling Prepper
Problems with the show zipfiles
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:01:16 AM »
Hi all :)
I have been slowly, over the last year, as my data allows, downloading the zip files for the show. My data plan rolls over today, so I downloaded a pile last night. I checked them this morning, all look intact, but I can open the zips of 1775-1799 and 1800-1824 only, 1825-1849  to 2175-2199 all will not open on this computer, it says The compressed folder is invalid." The file sizes look correct, I see no reason why they wouldn't work. All of the earlier zipfiles I have downloaded work fine.

So my silly question of the day is: Has anyone else hit this? Did Jack change the zipfile type somehow at that point? Do I need to upgrade my zip program? I hate upgrading stuff, it generally breaks things on the moody laptop. If it's my system, it's weird, because all the earlier ones work. Any idea what I can do? Dell laptop running Win 7, 9 gigs of space on the drive.

Thank you for any assistance!! :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Problems with the show zipfiles
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
...1825-1849  to 2175-2199 all will not open on this computer, it says The compressed folder is invalid." The file sizes look correct, I see no reason why they wouldn't work. ...

I just tested those two zip files and they show no errors.

I know that's not a big help. 8)

The file sizes are supposed to be:
543936264   TheSurvivalPodcast-1825-1849.zip
517792665   TheSurvivalPodcast-2175-2199.zip

I don't have a good suggestion at this point.  I doubt that it's an obsolete zip program at your end -- zip format has been standard for years, and we're not using anything hypermodern at this end.  Best guess would be a corrupted file download, but I don't know whether that's the fault of your computer, our server, your ISP, or eddies in the space-time continuum.

I'm sorry to suggest "Have you tried turning it off and on again?", but I've seen a lot of weird problems vanish after a restart.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Offline Pearl S

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
Just rebooted. Nope. Good call, I hadn't done that. As one of the people who tells others to reboot, you'd think I'd try it before I posted :)

The file size I have for 1800-1824  is  576,873   That file works.
None of my file sizes look like yours. What is yours for this one?

I hope I don't have to download them all again, I went over my data, which I was doing deliberately, knowing they would throttle my connection. They did. But it rolls over today. So if I start downloading, I swear they watch and they'll roll it, and I'll be eating next month's data up.

I appreciate the help :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 06:46:44 PM »
Okay, don't give up on those downloads yet.  I mean, they're probably doomed to deletion, but that doesn't mean we can't waste more time on 'em first. 8)

None of my file sizes look like yours.

Sorry, I was giving the file size in bytes.  Here's everything in kilobytes:

556462K   TheSurvivalPodcast-1775-1799.zip
576873K   TheSurvivalPodcast-1800-1824.zip
531188K   TheSurvivalPodcast-1825-1849.zip
505657K   TheSurvivalPodcast-2175-2199.zip

Ever used the command line from Windows?  There's a utility for calculating a checksum of a file.  If the checksums match, it's extremely likely that the files are identical.

Open a command prompt, and use cd to navigate to the directory where your downloads are.  (If you don't know how to do that, let me know.)  Then enter this command:

certutil -hashfile TheSurvivalPodcast-1775-1799.zip

After a short delay, it should respond:
SHA1 hash of file TheSurvivalPodcast-1775-1799.zip:
e0 5c 62 41 74 7d d5 cc ad d8 22 22 74 2f b5 eb 7b d1 33 90

(If your numbers don't match, then I probably made a mistake, since you said that file worked OK.)

Here are the checksums for the other three files:

TheSurvivalPodcast-1800-1824.zip
c6 0c 04 de 1e c4 88 e5 55 a7 26 60 a6 2c ac 55 f8 17 05 1f

TheSurvivalPodcast-1825-1849.zip
94 e2 ce 7f dd b2 99 d3 f5 34 e4 03 ac 50 1b 1a f4 59 f0 d0

TheSurvivalPodcast-2175-2199.zip
ec 39 de d1 52 a8 3d b2 c5 6b 37 50 ce 3f 9e f4 8f 35 b2 0a

Offline Pearl S

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 07:00:32 AM »
Crud. Looks like doomed to deletion.
Didn't even bother with the checksums, the file sizes on the ones that work are accurate, on the ones that don't are too small. All my downloads after the speed throttled are garbage. CRUD.
And I don't have bandwidth to spare till the 3rd of next month now.

Thank you :) I appreciate the help!

Oh, I am HIGHLY entertained this site calls me a "fledgling prepper" Bwahahah! Riiiiiight. Need to tell my sisters who don't understand my life that I'm just a fledgling, I have a lot more to do! They'd be horrified.
Not a fledgling prepper, just don't post on this forum much.

Thank you for your help Mr Bill :) I appreciate it!  :D

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
Ugh, sounds like it was more of a strangling than a throttling.  Oh well.

I don't know if this will be useful info, but FYI the zip files only manage about 3% compression on the podcasts (because the mp3 format is already compressed).  The main thing you gain from the zip files is the convenience of not having to click "DOWNLOAD" 25 times, but the total data usage is nearly the same.

Offline Pearl S

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 08:58:27 AM »
Yeah, I get the more recent ones as they come out, but I'm getting the archives in chunks for ease. I like to have a bunch to pick through, decide what I want to hear any given day.

And yeah, strangling is a better word for it. I'll be glad when I have a better system again. Currently in mid-chaos, won't get a decent connection till I am in my own home, not a rental, not paying the hook up fees several times. And the fees are currently high here, as they just ran fiber in the area. So every hookup involves dirt moved and cables installed. Not even paying for that for a rental. I'll stick to my hotspot, that gets throttled when I go over my data cap.

And I need to pick a cast for the day! Yay! 2 good archives out of that mess, before it throttled, I have 50 new ones to choose from! Yay, Jack rants!! :D