Author Topic: Long term prepping for picky eaters?  (Read 301 times)

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
Long term prepping for picky eaters?
« on: November 11, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
So.....  Unfortunately my toddler who would eat everything is now a 5 year old who literally throws up if the food I ask him to try isn't just right. For instance I had him try pierogi the other day and he gagged and told me it was slimey. Were limited to most fruits, almost 0 vegetables, pizza, chicken nuggets(those have to be specific as well.), cereals, peanut butter and jelly, and like grilled cheese. Hell also eat most breakfast stuff that doesn't involve meat like waffles, anything dairy, and most bread products.

At this rate I don't think its a let him go to bed hungry issue. He's willing to try stuff in most cases, but can't seem to stomach it. I'm the same way with any and all seafood.  My guess is I can't be the only one out here that has a picky eater who we need to store stuff away for. Any thoughts?

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Re: Long term prepping for picky eaters?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 05:52:27 AM »
Is it a texture or gag reflex issue rather than taste?  If so maybe you can look up strategies for those?

Also I read that it can take up to 10 times of trying something before a child decides they like it-so maybe don’t give up too quickly?  My kids weren’t particularly picky, but when they were young we talked a lot about the fact that food is fuel, and maybe something isn’t their favorite (I think words are important so I never said that they disliked or hated something, just that it wasn’t their favorite) but that if they were really hungry they could probably eat it.  Then the rule was to try a bite of everything but then they could fill up on the part of the meal they liked (and we’d always have one thing per meal that I knew they would eat).    If a kid showed a continued dislike of a particular ingredient (mushrooms for my son & nuts for my daughter) we eventually gave them a pass on that (and I either stopped cooking with them or left them big enough to pick out.

Every kid is different, but maybe something in there will help with you?

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:29:13 AM »
Is it a texture or gag reflex issue rather than taste?  If so maybe you can look up strategies for those?

Also I read that it can take up to 10 times of trying something before a child decides they like it-so maybe don’t give up too quickly?  My kids weren’t particularly picky, but when they were young we talked a lot about the fact that food is fuel, and maybe something isn’t their favorite (I think words are important so I never said that they disliked or hated something, just that it wasn’t their favorite) but that if they were really hungry they could probably eat it.  Then the rule was to try a bite of everything but then they could fill up on the part of the meal they liked (and we’d always have one thing per meal that I knew they would eat).    If a kid showed a continued dislike of a particular ingredient (mushrooms for my son & nuts for my daughter) we eventually gave them a pass on that (and I either stopped cooking with them or left them big enough to pick out.

Every kid is different, but maybe something in there will help with you?
This is basically what we do for our kids. And we've found the daughter doesn't like broccoli. So we don't force that issue. But everything else, they have to try. But we also don't make special meals for them. If we are eating steak and salad, so are the kids. They don't get something special made for them just because they don't like it. If they don't eat it, they don't get any dessert or snacks until after the next meal. They learn pretty quick to eat what's in front of them.

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
As they say in Ireland, "Is maith an t-anlann an t-ocras."
Hunger is a good sauce.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
hmmm. Store multivitamins? With a picky eater, it is sometimes hard to get all the nutrients in their diet that they need...