Author Topic: How Many Magazines to Have?  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
How Many Magazines to Have?
« on: October 25, 2008, 08:09:59 AM »
We all know high capacity magazines, especially for ARs and AKs, will be banned when Obama takes office.

We should all stock up--but how many?  I don't want to go nuts and spend money that could go to other prepping on having more magazines than I need.

How many mags do you recommend having?

kaiservontexas

Re: How Many Magazines to Have?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
10 is the conservative estimate for how much to have on hand for rifles. 5 is the recommendation for handguns. After that add what you can as you can without going nuts. I personally went this route and have much more then just 10 or 5 depending on firearm. I do not know if it is cheaper to go that route, but it spreads the cost out over time, which does not detract from any other goals.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »
We all know high capacity magazines, especially for ARs and AKs, will be banned when Obama takes office.

We should all stock up--but how many?  I don't want to go nuts and spend money that could go to other prepping on having more magazines than I need.

As many as you can get your hands on without going broke. 

Worse case scenario & the AWB is reestablished, they'll probably triple in value & you can sell them for more than you paid for them.  Even if they don't triple, the cost will go up & you'll already have a healthy stash to tide you over.  I know it sounds ridiculous now, but I know around here we were paying $30 to $50 just for a GI mag, when you could find them.  I'm in a small town though & there was a time when hi-cap mags were hard to come by.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:52:25 PM »
Bushmaster, DPMS and Rock River -20 each
Sig 229 in 40 SW -6
S&W M&P 9mm   -6
Ruger 10/22       -4

Sig Mosquito s

Offline ElyasWolff

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 10:05:43 PM »
Duh
Dont forget to vote for other pro-gun folks becides the prez!

10 per fighting rifle and 5-6 per handgun.
I like 6 for a handgun. 3 for range and 3 for carry, that would be 2 in the mag pouch and 1 in the gun for range or carry.

Offline ElyasWolff

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
Oh and dont forget about things like recoil springs
http://www.gunsprings.com/

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 10:31:15 PM »
I have been thinking about getting a few of these: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=MAG-428. I haven't bought any magazines because of my prep focus, but it might behoove me to do so before someone gets in office.

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 05:34:52 PM »
Glock:
12 - 17 round
4 - 33 round
2 - 10 round (factory ones for my G26)

HK:
4 - 12 round
2 - 10 round

AK:
2 - 30 round, but I still have not finished building my rifle, so they are useless anyway.

AR-15:
Not sure, around 12-14 functioning.  Buying several more PMags this week

10/22:
10 - 25 round
1  - 30 round Eagle, when it decides to work.

The only other higher than 10 capacity pistol or rifle I own is my wife's Taurus, and I am trying to get her to sell it and buy a Glock so we both can use the same magazines.

Depending on how much money I can come up with to spare on them, I will probably try and stock up on a lot of high capacity magazines when the next gun show comes around in November.  The problem is it will be after the election, so a lot of the dealers will probably already be increasing the prices.  That is why I am going to go ahead and get some AR-15 magazines this week. 

In relation to this, I have also been looking at purchasing quite a few rebuild kits for my existing magazines.  If they do reinstate the AWB, I fully expect it to be a permanent ban this time instead of a 10 year deal.

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »
I would say but as many as your budget allows.
For my AKs, I have well over 30, but with the price you can get the metal surplus mags, it wasn't a bank breaking issue when you spread it out over several years. (unfortunately, you may not have that option)
I don't know that there is any real exact number of mags anyone should have. Get what you feel comfortable spending on.
Remember though, even if you dont really need 30 mags, you certainly make some money off of them when the hammer comes down.

loudlikenature

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 02:39:41 PM »
I've got 12 x 30-round magpuls for my AR.
8 hi-caps for my XD-9.

probably should buy more soon before they are illegal.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 11:34:15 AM »
I am with Kaiser on this for minimums. Anything above and beyond is just gravy. BTW do not underestimate the investment value of magazines. I purchased lots  of surplus M16 mags and 45 ACP mags years ago for a couple bucks a piece as well as 20 surplus FAL mags for around $15 for the lot. Mini 14 mags were always a bit pricey (for me anyways) but I bit the bullet and spent the $6 a mag for them years ago. Walmart used to selll the 100 round Ruger 10/22 magazines for around $5. So far my magazine investment has done better than my 401k.