Author Topic: Floating Dock  (Read 224 times)

Offline racer038

• Survivor
Floating Dock
« on: December 02, 2018, 12:28:37 PM »
We have just completed building a half acre fishing / swimming pond on my remote property.  The dozer man is strongly opposed to placing posts or piers on the pond bottom.  He suggests floating docks with floating walkways.  I am OK with this but was wondering if the forum community has any experience in this matter.  Platform stability would be a priority for me. 

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Floating Dock
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »
what do you want to know?
can be built from blue barrels, or designed flotation either foam or plastic.
if you want it to last along time use good quality wood.
lots of info on YouTube, and dock construction supply websites.
anchor to shore with posts then chain to them.
you can also put them on skids or wheels to pull the out for maint. or at the seasons end.

Offline racer038

• Survivor
Re: Floating Dock
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:02:31 AM »
Thanks Bolomark for your response.  I have watched many YOUTUBE videos and reviewed other websites.  They make it look soooooooo simple.  Things are always more complicated than we think.  I have talked to people who are very dis-satisfied with their floating docks:  lack of stability being the number one complaint.  None of these people built their own.  I was hoping someone with practical experience would say, e.g."place your barrels deep (or shallow) into the frame" or "keep the width and length within a couple of feet to maintain stability".  Or "use 30 gallon barrels to keep the deck height closer to the water level, which will improve stability".  Lots of friends that have never built a floating dock are giving me advise. I was looking for someone that had!