Author Topic: Waterproofer with Shea Butter?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Dentoro

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Waterproofer with Shea Butter?
« on: December 25, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »
Anyone know a canvas waterproofer recipe that uses Shea butter and beeswax? (Otter wax copycat) My wife has some unrefined shea butter that is going a bit bad and I was hoping to use it as a waterproofer with some beeswax from the hive to put on my Carhart jackets. I would really like to not throw it away.  Thank you! Bob

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Waterproofer with Shea Butter?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 07:19:02 AM »
Have you tried and internet search for a recipe?

Offline Dentoro

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »
Everything comes up leather polish for Shea butter.  I know otter wax has shea butter in it and bee wax but I don’t know proportions.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 08:20:47 AM »
https://www.offthegridnews.com/extreme-survival/the-2-ingredient-off-grid-waterproofer-anyone-can-make/

Note that shea butter can be used as an alternate to beeswax in the recipe. For fabrics, leather, etc.

Offline Dentoro

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »
I made a small batch.  I used 1 oz bee wax to 8 oz Shea butter.  I put 25 drops  citronella oil after poured it in a small butter bowl with a lid. I plan on using it on my oldest coat, just in case the Shea butter stinks to bad.  I have no doubt it will waterproof.  Getting the Shea butter made my hands smooth and waterproof!  I’m going to bet this would be amazing on leather, but just average on canvas. 

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »
 8)

Cool, hope it works for you.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 07:34:00 PM »
Have you looked into paste wax? It's an old thing that did everything from cowboy boots to woodwork. If you do your homework there are a lot of old-timey wax blends that people put on fabric and wood.

A lot of these solutions suck because you need to reapply. But they will provide a level of "waterproof" that was happily used in the before time.