Author Topic: Large tent camping or leak repair  (Read 759 times)

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
Large tent camping or leak repair
« on: December 31, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »
I'm in the market fix a leaky tent (tried to a few times) or to buy a new one.  Our old 10 person tent was a good size and great until the seams started to leak.  (My poor daughter has taken the brunt of the wetness two trips in a row...)  We've camped in some pretty heavy rains and winds, so I think it's done well all things considered.

The current tent is at least 6-7 years old.  We use it 3-4 times a year.  And usually twice a year is an extended trip (7-10 days).  I like the size.  And the bathtub style floor.  It worked great until this past summer. 

Fix the leak: 
I've actually tried to a couple of times.  The tent has windows that extend out away from the vertical walls.  Water runs down the seam of the window and drips out inside the tent.  The corner of the windows is a major intersection of seams, so it's pretty thick there.  I've lightly scrubbed the seam with alcohol, let it dry, and reapplied seam sealants.  I really think it's a design flaw that makes it harder for the seams to seal effectively.  Honestly, I am leaning toward getting a new tent.  But if someone has some sure-fire method, then I'm all ears...  (And by sure-fire, I mean something that will convince my wife that it won't leak again!)

Requirements: 
*  We're a family of 7 (2 adults and 5 growing children).  So I'd like something that actually sleeps 9-10 (vs. the marketing number they put on the box) so kid's friends can tag along.  We use a canopy and a canopy side tent for shade, storage, and a little rain coverage.  So camping storage isn't a big issue. 
*  3 season camping - We typically camp from April-Oct in the northeast/mid-Atlantic from the coastal plains/beaches to the Appalachia. 
*  Car camping - Weight isn't a huge deal but ideally something less than 50 pounds (but it's not a deal breaker).  The storage size isn't a huge deal (within reason).  We have a 12 passenger van and use a hitch platform too. 
*  I'd like to keep the cost under $250, but would go up to $400 for the right tent.  (Which rules out canvas/poly-canvas.)
*  Ideally would have 1 or 2 rooms for the kids and a separate room for me and Mrs. Bear. 

Any thoughts?

I've been looking at the Core 12 Person Instant Cabin or Browning Camping Big Horn.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Large tent camping or leak repair
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 05:19:41 PM »
How old are your older kids?  If you've got teenagers it may be better to consider 2 tents, especially if there are friends in tow.

I'm awfully partial toward Eureka tents.  They always seem to hit the sweet spot in the price-perforance curve.  My oldest one, a Sunrise 9, is 18 years old and has held up through 2-3 trips a year, and seen my kids through their teenage years and then some.  Eureka's changed their line since then, but they still have a lot of family-friendly tents.