Author Topic: 911 Service Disrupted  (Read 561 times)

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
911 Service Disrupted
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:53:05 PM »
Tonight, the national news had a story about the 911 emergency call service being disrupted in a large part of the U.S. (https://www.apnews.com/1454add5707d41118930e49ae5752f11.) The article mentioned that several locales were recommending that people call the services directly, since they could not get through via 911.

My wife and I looked at each other and remarked that we don't even know the local numbers for police, fire and EMS. Mrs. ChEng remembered the old stickers that we could get, with the numbers on them, to be stuck on our phones. I commented that we don't even have a place to put one of those stickers, or a sign with the emergency numbers (we gave up the land line when I realized that everyone in the family had their own cell phone.)

I looked up the numbers for the fire and police stations near our house and programmed them into our phones. I used "Fire" and "Police" for the first names, and "Emergency" for the last name, in our contacts apps (will add "Medic" when I find the numbers.) That way, in an emergency if 911 doesn't answer, we can go to the contacts and hit "E" and find the emergency numbers that way.