Author Topic: What are your four? and advice on my choices...  (Read 31767 times)

Offline bfgmt

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: What are your four? and advice on my choices...
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »
 I am a poor man so mine are a Mossberg 500 used 150 bucks, A Mosin Nagant 139, HiPoint .45 179,and a sks for 350  for a whopping  620 bucks I have everything I need  ;)

Offline tjstruck88

• Prepper
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »
This is my favorite game to play!  ;D

Ruger. Sp101 357 mag
Mosin nagant 91 30 7.62x54r
Marlin model 60 22 lr
Mossberg 500 12gauge

d3nni5

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »
I am a poor man so mine are a Mossberg 500 used 150 bucks, A Mosin Nagant 139, HiPoint .45 179,and a sks for 350  for a whopping  620 bucks I have everything I need  ;)

Hey,   It is not the $$'s that count.  Other than the HiPoint, you have battle tested rock solid choices here.   And I'm not even going to knock the HiPoint because I don't have first hand experience with them.    So this is a good group IMO.    What about a .22?   do you think the Mosin and the SKS are more or less serving a similar function?   I suppose the Mosin could serve as a hunting rifle, if you get it scoped properly.

Welcome to the forum!

Offline bfgmt

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I actually have an old springfield 84c .22 my Dad gave me it wasbought at sears by my grandfather in 1939 but this was a list of four.   ;D

d3nni5

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »
I actually have an old springfield 84c .22 my Dad gave me it wasbought at sears by my grandfather in 1939 but this was a list of four.   ;D

Yea, I got an old Savage 187 that was bought at Montgomery Wards that Dad taught me to shoot with....thread is here...

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=46939.msg525671#msg525671

Offline bfgmt

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »
Hey,   It is not the $$'s that count.  Other than the HiPoint, you have battle tested rock solid choices here.   And I'm not even going to knock the HiPoint because I don't have first hand experience with them.    So this is a good group IMO.    What about a .22?   do you think the Mosin and the SKS are more or less serving a similar function?   I suppose the Mosin could serve as a hunting rifle, if you get it scoped properly.

Welcome to the forum!
I have tapco 20 round mags for the SKS so it would be a self defense rifle , People knock the Hipoints but I have put over 1000 rounds through mine and have had not one fail

Online mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2014, 11:19:56 AM »
I live in California. I tried to play this game before joining this forum and before buying any guns, as I dont have much money and, although I was raised in a house full of guns and hunters/law enforcement, I personally did not own any guns at all, or shoot or use any since I was a kid. So, these types of list I think are great, especially when money gets in as a factor. Since I am inexperienced what I went with was based on recommendations/lists/research/conversations.

I was originally intrigued by the get an essential 4 for under $1000. And, at the time I started that path might have been doable. But, then I also had the idea to do it with cash and not all at once and so got caught  a bit when guns became unavailable.

The first 2 I bought were a ruger 10/22 carbine and a used mossburg 500 in 20 gauge, at the local gun store with cash. This was November or so of 2012. Dont remember what I paid, under $500. The idea was to save money for a few months and buy a revolver (they even stocked good used ones at that time) and a Mossin Nagant because they realy didnt cost anything then.

-Ruger 10/22 carbine
- Mossburg 500 in 20 guage

All local handguns dried up, I couldnt have even bought that 10/22 a month later, no decent handguns to be found. Then, I went to visit xxxxx  April 2013 and went into a stocked store and the "one" handgun became 2(GP100 revolver and XDm 9mm) as I couldnt make up my mind, so my budget has been blown, although I am supposed to give the one I dont want to keep back to xxxx once I make up my mind. I am familiar with revolvers and they are very intuitive to me, and as a unpracticed shooter, this is what I grew up with and what I would grab, use, take at this time. The semiauto is more accurate but I still am not comfortable with the whole slide thing and am very slow to get it ready to shoot. I have some physical strength limitations, but I should be able to handle this one as I practice more. And, to be honest, the grip on the semiauto fits my hand better, although the revovler just looks and feels like a proper "gun" to me right now (yep, I shot off my daddy's revolvers as a kid) Either of these were around $500, so getting one would have kept in budget.

- Ruger GP100 357magnum, 4" barrel is the one I would grab for now ( may change to the Springfield XDm 9mm over time)

For the 4th, my household actually has a Mossin Nagant , although I am sure it is likely too much kick for me, it was picked up last minute before the CA rifle registration started, my son and his friends will play with it, will likely replace with an Arwhatever in the future

So, the 4 would have been like 1100, so a bit over budget due to Mossin nagants going up in price and CA almost 10% sales tax. Buying all at once fall of 2012 on credit would have saved me money in this case
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:45:34 AM by mountainmoma »

Offline 11 Bravo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »
AR15 16" with a Vortex Strikefire
Mossberg 500 12 gauge
Hammerli Sporter .22 semi-auto
Glock 22 .40 cal duty weapon

Others as well, some duplicates, but that's the main 4...

Others as well, some duplicates, but th

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2014, 12:45:20 AM »
Pistol: Glock22 /Ruger P89 - both durable and reliable, Ruger would be my choice if I were looking for more common ammo around here
Rifle1: vz.58 / AKM - for extreme reliability and local availability of 7,62x39 ammo, parts and mags. Would switch to AKSU-74 if weight or concealability was an issue.
Rifle2: Saiga-308 - for anything that those above won't be enough; while just as durable and reliable as them
Shotgun: Pedersoli SxS 12ga caplock - two shots are enough for hunting, blackpowder can be homemade if needed, primers are cheap to stock up and it will shoot anything that fits into the bore

Max

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2014, 06:57:04 AM »
My four are actually five:
Handguns- S&W 627 8 Times in 38spl/357 Magnum-love this gun!
             - EAA Windacator 38spl/357 Magnum-edc
Shotty-Mid 80's Moss 500a 20" barrel 8 round-home defense
Rifle- Marlin60-plinker/varmit

l would like to get a lever action as well, staying away from 'assualt' rifle. Actually sold a WASR 10 w/ammo and took the money and bought the above guns.

My question is, would a 357 Lever action be a good choice? or should l roll a 30.06? Would be more of my longer range gun.

Thanks in advance.
BTW only been 'into' firearms for a year, excuse the noob questions.

I posted this link in another thread but it fits more for this topic and I can't delete the old post because it's been out there too long. Sorry.  :(
Anyways the link below is an episode from my podcast in which I cover the 4 gun battery. I hope you enjoy. Also any feedback is welcome.  8)
http://traffic.libsyn.com/modernamericanprepper/episode_16.mp3

Offline mgw44

• Prepper
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »
If I had to limit to four this would be my choice as I have a family that would need to use them as well.

ruger ar 556
glock 26
ruger 10/22
mossberg 20 guage pump action

mgw 44

Offline blacktalon606

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2016, 07:12:46 PM »
10/22
Glock 27
Sr25

Nothing needs doing that can't be done with those.  1911 if I wanted to cheat and pick 5.

nkawtg

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
Well I've got two of four so far.
Ruger 10/22 (actually it's my wife's)
Mossberg 500 20 gauge

Not sure at all what handgun(s) to get.
I'm also looking for a bigger caliber rifle, again not sure what make or model, probably an AR type.

Online mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2016, 08:58:40 PM »
I am changing my choices, if I could only have 4 :

- Springfield XDm in 9mm
- Bolt action Sako, manlicher stock, scoped, in .243
- mossberg 500 in 20 guage
- Mini 14 in .223

but, I realy also want a nice 6 inch barreled revolver in .357/.38

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2016, 09:43:07 PM »
I think this [if I can only have four] is a harder question than if I can only have one.

Online mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2016, 11:10:12 PM »
I think this [if I can only have four] is a harder question than if I can only have one.

If I understand this 4 game correctly, it is 4 of a certain pattern : ie., generally one shotgun; one handguns; 2 rifles, to cover all needs, so one lower powered and one longer range/more power usually ( often a .22 and something higher powered and longer ranged )

So, since you realy need to only pick one of each category, maybe that will help ! (my current pick of a 223 over a 22 may or may not be the most practical for this game, but that is my close range/non kick pick for right now)

d3nni5

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2016, 12:46:49 PM »

Not sure at all what handgun(s) to get.

Glock 19 is a good place to start.

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2017, 12:36:20 AM »
Want:
4. Hunting/sniper rifle: Remington 700 .30-'06 (w/.32 ACP chamber adapters for small game)
5. Anti-materiel rifle: Want: Vigilance VR-1 .408 Cheytac (more likely a Remington 700 .375 H&H Magnum)

(7) Want: Handout gun(s): 6 or so Auto Ordnance .30 M1 Carbines

Good choice with the PTR-91.  I love mine.

You don't want a REM700 in 375H&H, trust me on that.  I bought one brand new, put a nice scope on it, and then spent 3 seasons trying to convince myself I hadn't made a mistake.  Recoil was obnoxious, twice that of my 26" bbl 300WINMAG; accuracy was ok but not great; ammo was through-the-roof expensive, reloading dies are hard to come by and also expensive, brass and bullets are expensive, and it eats powder like a feral hog when reloading.  And for all that, it's still not heavy enough to be a good anti-materiel rifle.

If you insist on getting something in that class, get a SOCOM .458 (or Bushmaster .450) - the AR style buffer system makes the recoil much more manageable, and the accuracy of the .45 rounds is much better.  It's still ridiculously expensive to shoot, but at least it won't dislocate your shoulder in the process.

For a 'sniper rifle' you're better served to go with a Remington 700 or (Savage 110) in .308WIN.  The Rem700 Short Action is the most common rifle in North America for MIL/LE sniping.  And the .308 and .223 are the two most common calibers.  So that's the convergence where you're going to find good, reasonably priced kit to complete your sniping setup - scope with integrated BDC, bridge-rail with built in 10 or 20 MOA so your scope can dial out to max range...etc. etc.,  and long range ammo will be much easier to come by.

I would never use a 'chamber adapter' in a long range rifle.  That's just inviting trouble.  Why not pick up a Marlin Camp Carbine in .22mag as your game-gun, or get a Sub2000 in 9mm (and work up a nice light load behind an 85~95gr. bullet for small game).  Either way, you not only get a reliable (and not under-powered) game-gun, you get an all-around backup rifle that way.

For 'loan-out' rifles, I chose SKSes.  Ammo is a standard caliber, the rifles are durable and easy to maintain, and strip-clips are a lot cheaper amd ,more reliable than mags.

Cheers