Author Topic: I'm making "tootsie pudding"  (Read 465 times)

Offline Carver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I'm making "tootsie pudding"
« on: January 18, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »
I needed a different name for my pig feet broth and now I'm using the same name for my batch of chicken paws. I'm making it in a strainer basket in the Instant Pot using the slow cook, high heat setting. The pigs feet turned out the best ever as all the minute bones and chips could easily be found and removed. It gels into a very tasty thick mass. I cut it into slices for a snack. Good with black pepper, sometimes mustard, vinegar.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: I'm making "tootsie pudding"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 12:41:12 PM »
That's actually the base for a number of sausages made in East Europe. It doesn't sound elegant but they use congealed gelatin mixed with parts of kidney, liver, and brain along with spices or cured olives or capers or something like that. It's way off the typical American palate. But I've been to a few German hotels that offered slices with crusty rye bread for breakfast and it was amazing.

If you've got an area of town that is traditionally "old world" (think Poles, Ukrainians, and Russians) you can still find these treasures. My Ukrainian deli offers such treats. But it takes a cultural "island". My uncle in Los Angeles complains of the lack of Eastern European food he grew up on in Chicago.

Oh, and congrats. You've just dipped your toe into charcuterie.

Offline Carver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:43:13 PM »
My mom got me started on this as a kid, she loved head cheese and blood sausage. The local Mexican & Hmong population is what brings this offering to our locality. And on the wife's side a strong Czech tradition of hog's head, pigs feet gelatin has been passed on. This is a very good rich source of collagen. True, it sounds revolting to the pizza-diet crowd, but they like their deserts which are often loaded with gelatin, made from animal hoofs.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »
Oh dang you two have got me on the charcuterie road again. I've never made sausage but I want to and have the book Charcuterie by, I forget who and don't want to look it up. Also have an old Universal #2 hand cranked grinder to start with.

Offline Carver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 08:44:18 AM »
I read a post on a sausage blog of a guy that had been making Swedish potato sausage since he was a kid with his mom the old fashioned way, grind the meat and potatoes and stuff them in casings. But now he "cheats" and buys ground pork and beef and instant potatoes and makes patties. I've done that using frozen hash browns, it's the lazy man's method that works good. Why not?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 09:07:42 AM »
That sound delicious.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 10:29:15 AM »
I do a lot of meat grinding. I like Italian sausage made with pork, garlic, fennel, salt, and white wine. It's simple but really good.

Also love the look of showing up to a BBQ with 4 feet of sausage draped over my shoulder and tied with butcher twine. Never felt so manly.

I always wondered (speaking of pork collagen) why there is chicken stock, beef stock, fish stock, vegetable stock but no pork stock. As a kid we'd have ham on Christmas and in the next couple days cook down the ham bone for hours to make split pea soup. My grandfather's favorite food was ham hocks and sauerkraut and when he was done grandma would cook down the bones and make a root vegetable soup that could cure any headcold. I make pork stock for a German soup of sausage, ham, potatoes, sauerkraut, and beer (my wife HATES it). You'd think there are enough Eastern Europeans and Hispanic people to make a business in pork stock. Who knows?

Offline Carver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 11:15:14 AM »
I make pork/ham stock all the time. I use pigs feet, necklines, smoked or raw. Ham bones... it cooks for hours, or less in an Instant Pot. The bones are so soft afterwards that you can crush any bone in your fingers and even chicken bones are soft enough to feed to an animal or you can mash them up and put it in your garden.
Store bought stock of any sort is more like a meat flavored tea.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 05:01:46 PM »
Hmm, I've often wondered about pork stock myself. I'll be cooking some bone-in pork shoulders and butts soon, stock could be a side benefit.

Offline Carver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
I make pork/ham stock all the time. I use pigs feet, necklines, smoked or raw. Ham bones... it cooks for hours, or less in an Instant Pot. The bones are so soft afterwards that you can crush any bone in your fingers and even chicken bones are soft enough to feed to an animal or you can mash them up and put it in your garden.
Store bought stock of any sort is more like a meat flavored tea.
necklines? doggone auto spell correct, NECK BONES!!!