Author Topic: Has Anyone Installed their own Security System??  (Read 6387 times)

Offline MontanaBound

• Prepper
Has Anyone Installed their own Security System??
« on: September 27, 2009, 03:03:15 PM »
So whether its a bug out home or a primary home has anyone done their own security system? Is it even feasible? Main thing I wonder about is how would one monitor their system? Those of you with any of the major security systems do they call the local PD if an alarm is set off and nobody answers the phone? If so does the local PD's even take these seriously? Any input is appreciated, Thanks!!

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
Re: Has Anyone Installed their own Security System??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
I just did a couple of shows on security systems - check them out. 

www.hofpodcast.com

Offline MontanaBound

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:37:27 PM »
Another cool place to hang out, Thanks!!

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
Seach the topic strings, and the web, for x-10 modules.

I've had great luck with them, some are still alive well after 10 years...

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:33:33 PM »
A LOUD audible is the best thing you can have in your system. Paying to have it monitered is a waste of money i think and here's why:
Response time it takes for the alarm company to call you after your alarm is triggered.
Response time it then takes for the alarm co to contact the police
Response time for the police to dispatch the call
You add all this time up and it will be an easy 25-30 minutes before the police arrive to your residence.
I crook will be long gone with your stuff in that amount of time.

I once set my alarm off by accident when the dog had to go outside and i opened the backdoor. It took the alarm co 10 minutes to call my residence and see if everything was alright. I quickly cancelled the monitoring after that.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
I installed our alarm and am glad I did.  If you DIY, you can actually get a much more comprehensive system that fits your needs compared with the "free" or low cost box systems the main companies sell.

We don't have ours monitored, but the two neighbors would call our cell if it went off when we weren't there.

Most homeowners give discounts for monitored systems.

Offline Sunnybrook

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »
This probably isn't what you're looking for, but I was watching a gardening show recently, that featured an elderly British woman's English Garden here in the US.  She went on to explain that she had an "old country" security system by having rose bushes near her windows and a gravel path around the house. 

She said the thorns on the bushes would deter prowlers, and the gravel crunching would alert the homeowner, or at least the dog, of someone approaching the home.

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
I installed a system several years ago.   The lady was looking for security only (was broken into), but got a simple fire system as well. 

Two weeks later, she had a kitchen fire and was not home (left pan on) and started the curtains and wall on fire.   System called in, and saved her house.  Monitoring is worth it just for fire IMO..  It will also work for high water (flooded basement), low temp (dead furnace), high temp (freezer dead), and a host of other things.  If you have to wait 15 mins to get a call back from a monitoring comp, I would fire them immediately!  Mine calls within 1 minute of the alarm going off!

For burglary only, though, your right - noise and strobes work best!

Offline Remington

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »
I watched a video just the other day which explains a basic DIY home security system. Well worth watching for anybody considering building their own system

http://www.youtube.com/user/kipkay#play/uploads/60/t0FTzUhdg3w

Vinny T. Firefly

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:05:34 PM »
Monitoring is not that helpful, imho. But, and here's the caveat, I lived in Chicago were the response time was not helpful for most instances. If you live in a more "friendly" area were the police are more likely to respond with quick and diligent defense.

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 06:59:31 AM »
"But, and here's the caveat, I lived in Chicago were the response time was not helpful for most instances."
It's a good thing Chicago has strict gun control laws!  :o

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »
I install the "Visonic Powermax Plus Wireless Family Security System" in our house. I have every window door covered, 4 glass break detectors & 4 motion detectors. I still need a flood detector for the basement.

http://www.safemart.com/Wireless-Home-Security/Powermax-Plus-Wireless-Family-Security-System-POWERMAXPLUS-FAMILY.htm

We have upgraded locks "4 Medeco M3 deadbolts/handles". Expensive but well worth it. I built a bump key and my 8 year old was able to open our front door and one of our neighbors door.

http://shop.peiferlock.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=280_282

All windows armored with anchored security film

http://www.diywindowsecurity.com/

Outside I install the "Chamberlain Wireless Pedestrian & Vehicle Alert System with 2-Way Voice Communication and Remote Control". It works great. It alerts us when people are just walking up to the house. My wife doesn't need to open the door to talk to strangers.

http://www.gatehousesupplies.com/RWV400RLM-Chamberlain-Wireless-Pedestrian-and-Veh-p/rwv400rlm.htm

gigaJack

kermitdafrog

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 05:59:08 AM »

I also installed a Visonic Powermax wireless system about 5 or 6 years ago and I use "NextAlarm.com" as my monitor and have been happy with both.  My wife and I both have a wireless keyfob that allows us to arm/disarm the system from the front yard or car in the driveway as we approach or leave without having to dash in the house and mess with the keypad.  I use an X-10 device to switch what looks like a a small "porchlight" over the garage door off and on to let us know if the system is armed or not.  The system, being wireless, means there is absollutely no wiring installation involved for any of the sensors since all the devices are miniature rf transmitters.

I chose to go silent with no outside siren, and have a small sign in the flower bed at the foot of the front steps, as well as a small decals on each window.  I use door switches and motion detectors in both the house and the separate garage/shop as well as a smoke alarm in the house.

The response time from the alarm company is typically under two minutes, and their service is about $12 a month and no contract.  You can get it for about $10 a month if you pay for a year up front, and you can still cancel at any time.  My homeowners insurance give me a break on my insurance, and the monitoring verification is available online to print to give to the insurance company.

I have the system programmed to call the alarm company first and then my cell phone if it alerts.  By my choice, they then call me and ask if I want the police dispatched.  (All of this takes place within the two minutes based on my previous false alarms.)

If my smoke alarm goes off, I have it programmed for them to dispatch fire department first and then call me.  I found out from two false alarms caused by my granddaughter cooking chicken nuggets in the Fry Baby that once the fire department is dispatched, I can't call them off and I had firetrucks in my front yard both times.

The alarm call list, who to call and in what order, and other parmeters can be edited by logging onto the account online.  The system can also be put into "test" mode so you can work on the system and replace batteries, etc without calling the calvary.  In addition, you can log on and view the event log if you are out of town.

They also offer a "zot box" for about $100 that connects the alarm system to your broadband connection instead of your phone line if desired.  With this setup, since there is a constant handshake between the system and the remote monitor going on, if you lose your broadband connection it may set off an alarm if there isn't a provision for a dial-up fallback, but again I don't know for sure.

My whole system was a one time expense of under $400, and a $12 a month recurring expense for monitoring.

Kermit

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »
Search for ademco on ebay.  A good system can be had for less than $200.  Ademco / Honeywell is the same stuff the big alarm companies install.

Search for alarm monitoring on google and you can get it for $5 to $10 a month if you have a phone line.  $15 to $20 a month for a cellular system.  Your best monitoring is honestly a good neighbor who can call the police for you.

Just a sign and a couple of stickers from an alarm company is pretty good if you are cash strapped.  The crooks go for the low hanging fruit and will move on to the "unprotected" house.

If you can run the wires yourself, it is very easy to make it go.  The programming is not 100% obvious, but it isn't that hard.  The manuals for the ademco stuff can be found online.  Don't get wrapped around the axle with all the monitoring junk in the manuals you won't be using it.  If you do get your system monitored they will tell you exactly what to program in and how.

You can easily get alot more for alot less by doing it yourself.

If you don't want to run wires make sure your wireless system has some sort of supervision.  You want it to tell you a battery is going bad, you don't want to find out when it doesn't alarm.

Offline cdunlop

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
Installing a wireless system, and providing your own monitoring is simple and cost effective. I would also tie in a camera system to add to your total security package.