Author Topic: Chicken run as a Compost Factory and compost as a prep  (Read 821 times)

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Chicken run as a Compost Factory and compost as a prep
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:58 AM »
I have been watching a video series on youtube on feeding the chickens compost and having them process it.  It appears to speed up the process but is a daily task.  I have been feeding my chicken my compostable materials.  They tear into it and are getting food from the pile.  I make it in there 2 or 3 times a week to turn and re-pile it.  It appears to be working.  For me it is still a supplement I do not have access/contacts to get addition material from other sources like restaurants or grocery stores.  I am getting great compost from the run so I have no complaints.  I do only have 6 chickens, and do not wan too many more, so they could not process the volume he uses.

Has anyone heard of doing this?
Where are the pitfalls?

Here is one of the Videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XWjFHVFqyo

Here is a like to a picture of my chickens on their compost pile.  As soon as the weather breaks I will be shoveling this out and onto the new garden space that I have started by spreading 60 yards of wood chips in the wettest area, in spring, of my yard.  With luck this will assist my fruit trees, tree guilds and berries with a bountiful harvest this year and into the future.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/46423348862/in/dateposted-public/

If the original poster drifts does it count a subject drift.
I though there was a post on having a compost pile or making compost as a prep item.  I could not find it, and I thought I started it.  The more I work with compost and the more I look at the world the more I think that a compost pile is a prep.  For those that say you do not make compost I have to say "I see your point but I think you are wrong".  I am spending time an money to collet materials.  A mower that collect grass to multiple trips to the local stables to get manure are some examples.  Then you add moving yards of wood chips some of which were mixed with the compost pile to increase its water holding capability. Hours turning the pile or repiling of you are doing the above because the chickens hate a pile and kick it down as soon as you pile it up.  So there is work that I put in.  It is nothing compared to the work that chicken, fungus, worms and other critters that are too small to see do.  It is work none the less.

Looking into the crystal ball and not liking what I am seeing job loss, civil unrest potential, to other things that keep preppers awake trying to see how to get to what will be the new normal.  I see the ability to quickly increase my gardening (conventional) to give more foods as a prep.  It may not be the same as the racks of jars of completed and canned garden crops, but today my home canned is supplemented with running to the store to get frozen or fresh produce in January.  Getting to the new normal will be tough no question if something comes on fast, but being able to double my garden for the remainder or next growing season (my goal for compost production) is something that helps me drift off.  I am happy my compost pile is likely 300% or more larger than the one I left when I moved 2 years ago.  With that said I expect empty both the chicken run and the more conventional pile in March if I can push a wheel barrel on the new beds.  I have no compost as a prep ready to go if, but am going to be at that double to triple over last year. 

Sorry if this thread is already starting off random.  I look forward to seeing your responses. 
Mods I hope you see compost as a "Do It Yourself project"  I sure do.  My apologies if you do not.
DDJ

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Chicken run as a Compost Factory and compost as a prep
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »
Thanks for posting the youtube video.  Some of his other videos is pretty interesting too (gardening, greenhouse, compost, mushrooms, feed sourcing, rainwater collection...).

Seems like a simple method, but a daily labor input (though I guess it could be less frequently).  It does seem more labor intensive than I'm interested in, but then again, he's getting more compost than I am...  I typically dump my scraps in the chicken run and shovel it out a few times a year to put it in the compost bin (or in the fall directly in the garden). 

A couple of years ago I grabbed a couple of horse manure loads and added that to my compost bin/garden beds.  Things got pretty weedy.  But this made me want to try it again, but start the manure in the chicken run for a week or so.

Thanks for posting the youtube video!  Some of his other videos is pretty interesting too (gardening, greenhouse, compost, mushrooms, feed sourcing, rainwater collection...).  Looks like I have a new way to waste time learn something.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »
I got 10 or so dump cart loads of aged horse manure this weekend.  It's probably 3-4 years old.  Dumped one in the chicken run and the rest in various gardens.  I'll be moving the chicken tractor around every other week so they can pick through the manure.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:48:59 AM »
Just this last weekend I turned the Chicken's compost pile and looked the "normal" compost pile and I see a Huge difference.  The one in the Chicken yard is much more broken down.  It did get turned more and does not have the chick bedding in it, but it did not stay hot over winter.  I would try to turn some of it every weekend, made somewhere around 1/2 of the weekends, but it still froze and Deep so it was not actively composting enough to make heat, but it is a lot more done than the other.  I had put woodchips in both but there is no sign of the chips in the chicken yard and there are still lots of wood chips in the "regular" pile.

I think that having the chickens processing the compost is an improvement.