Author Topic: Snow storm wallops Pacific Northwest - State of Emergency Still in Effect  (Read 3891 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Snow storm wallops Pacific Northwest - State of Emergency Still in Effect
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 05:05:46 PM »
There is a silver lining in everything.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/23/teen-makes-35000-while-plowing-snow-in-seattle-over-just-a-few-days/
Teen makes $35,000 while plowing snow in Seattle over just a few days

COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho — A northern Idaho teen says he made $35,000 in four days by charging as much as $750 an hour to plow during the early-February snowstorms in Seattle.

Eighteen-year-old David Holston owns a landscaping and snow plowing company in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. He was visiting his mom in the Seattle area for her birthday, and he brought along his plowing equipment thanks to a friend’s suggestion.

Holston says he put an ad on Craigslist when the storm started, and his phone rang constantly.

Online Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 05:09:10 PM »
35 grand. That oughta pay something off...... ;D

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 11:33:46 PM »
Flood waters hit Northern Mississippi.  It's amazing to think about how water flows from North to South.  The mass of water that is making its way to the gulf is mind boggling. This coupled with rain makes for dangerous flash flooding.

https://www.wapt.com/amp/article/mdot-monitoring-flooding-in-north-mississippi/26484726

MDOT monitoring flooding in north Mississippi
Several roads flooded in multiple counties

MDOT said it will continue to monitor the potential for flooding and maintain the safety of drivers in the affected counties.

Transportation officials said flooding is a top weather-related killer, and most flood deaths occur at night when people become trapped in a stalled vehicle in a flooded area.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »
Flooding has already claimed a life.  Sad because these floods were so predictable. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/02/24/us/tennessee-flooding-wxc/index.html

Tennessee flooding leaves 1 dead and prompts a state of emergency

Flooding in parts of Tennessee has left one person dead and sparked a state of emergency this weekend.

One person died in Knoxville after driving his car into water on a flooded road early Sunday morning, according to Knox County Sheriff's Office.

Knox County was under flash flood warning on Saturday afternoon and residents were warned that "this is a particularly dangerous situation. Seek higher ground now," according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Stay warm Washington, it isnt over yet.

https://amp.tri-cityherald.com/news/weather-news/article226988404.html
February was among Tri-Cities’ coldest, wettest, snowiest ever. What’s coming in March?

February likely was the snowiest in the Tri-Cities in the last 100 years, even if it didn’t set an all-time record, according to the National Weather Service.

The month ended with a total of 23.1 inches at the weather service’s Kennewick gauge.

That’s the most on record since 1916 when 24 inches were measured at the same gauge.

Daily temperature records were set on four days, all for the coldest high temperature:

▪ Feb. 10 high was 24, colder than the record 30 recorded most recently in 2014.

▪ Feb. 11 high was 21, colder than the record 27 sent in 1954.

▪ Feb. 19 the high was 27, colder than the record 28 set in 1956.

▪ Feb. 23 the high was 33, colder than the record 34 recorded most recently in 1993.

MARCH WEATHER PREDICTION
The month is starting with temperatures far below normal for March and colder than normal weather could persist for the month, according to the weather service.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
southern/central coastal Oregon has taken a beating this last week.  Hard to find print reports, here is one

https://www.currypilot.com/news/6965230-151/storm-pounds-coast-with-foot-of-rain

The damage prevented delivery trucks — gasoline, groceries and food for restaurants among many others — from getting to Brookings. Fred Meyer and Dollar General ran out of milk Monday night — and gasoline Tuesday afternoon.

that is Brookings area.  Many other coastal areas were in a similar situation.  Coastal Hwy 101 with flooding and damage, and roads to Hwy 5 thru the coastal range closed due to snow and other slides and damage and then flooding.

Running out of certain foods for resteurants and stores at beginning of the last week, then some food trucks getting thru on alternate mountain route, but gasoline and armored trucks not allowed to try, they must have different rules. So, as of end of day yesterday in the greater Coos Bay area some gas stations out of gas and many stores running low on change as rolled coins could not be delivered to the local banks. 

They dont get much news, which is likely good as the residents were not egged on by media to panic so there was still stuff to buy all week

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
February likely was the snowiest in the Tri-Cities in the last 100 years, even if it didn’t set an all-time record, according to the National Weather Service.

That's where I am.  It has definitely sucked.  Road departments and individuals don't have the resources to deal with a hundred-year record snowfall.

We've got a 60% chance of yet more snow on Wednesday.  No forecast yet of how much, but at least we're not expecting high winds and the resultant huge drifts.  We're supposed to thaw out on Thursday.  I hope that will be the end of it!

Online Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
I hope ya'll is prepared to ride it out.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
I hope ya'll is prepared to ride it out.

Good luck, Mr Bill.

There definitely has been some riding out already.  Though i dont understand how you get trapped in SUV for five days with only two feet of snow.  I must be missing something.  Regardless, I think there will be a lot more people looking at Winter preps in Northwest.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna978636
Oregon man trapped with his dog 5 days in snowbound car ate taco sauce packets
His car got stuck during a historic blizzard in central Oregon, with some areas getting as much as 20 inches of snow, a local media outlet reported.

Online Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Hmmmm yes. 36 years old and determined to difficult to walk in the snow.
Well yea but.....I would've been walking out well before 5 days.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Breaking news, avalanche caught on film: https://twitter.com/JeremyHubbard/status/1102333526794362880?s=19

Watch those mountains.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Though i dont understand how you get trapped in SUV for five days with only two feet of snow.

If you look at the photo in that story, he's surrounded by drifts about the height of his car.

That's been our problem here.  One snowstorm of 8", plus 30mph winds, resulted in the main road between our house and town being blocked by drifts that were 6 feet tall, covering hundreds of feet of roadway.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Our city has drifts so bad corners are blind. I've seen several destroyed mailboxes and ours is in a 7ish foot drift and I've dug it out so many times I'm considering a portable mailbox at the end of the drive.

Do you west coasters have roof rakes? That would be one thing I'd recommend. That and being careful. Snow shoveling tends to up the heart attacks. Driving slow helps too. We have way too many dumb accidents this time of year. Especially with the thaw/freeze cycle with glare ice.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Do you west coasters have roof rakes?

We have one, but I don't think they're common in our corner of WA.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
We have one, but I don't think they're common in our corner of WA.

Thanks. Now everyone knows I didn't make that up. Yes, we rake our roof.

You could also toss a bag of kitty litter in the car. It's an old trick to get "unstuck" in snow. I also keep a rescue shovel. Nothing worse than being the first one on scene when someone has lost control and slammed into a snowbank. But it has happened to me. Other than normal basic first aid and hand warmers you're down to a solid roof and safe travel.

There's just not much you can do. It's snow.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
This article made me laugh.  We have another name for ‘bomb cyclone' around here, Spring.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/weather/2019/03/11/extreme-storm-central-us-may-generate-blizzard-flooding-severe-storms-midweek/
Central U.S. ‘bomb cyclone’ to generate blizzard, flooding and severe storms midweek

Online Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
‘bomb cyclone'

:tinfoily:

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
The back shed is unopenable. Snow up to my knees. Learned the hard way trying to get my plant propagation gear.

I think it's been a hard year all around snow wise.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
And the aftermath (courtesy of Washington State Fire Wire on Facebook):

WILDFIRE ACTIVITY - WASHINGTON STATE: Warm, dry weather coupled with an East Wind event have resulted in 25 wildfires for a combined 313 acres. 24 of those fires started in Western Washington. Just caught word of resource requests happening for a 100+ acre fire (possibly southwest WA - Lewis County which was listed at 80 acres yesterday), though we haven't had that confirmed as of yet.