Author Topic: What is your favorite tree and why?  (Read 729 times)

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
What is your favorite tree and why?
« on: March 12, 2019, 02:10:02 PM »
Just kind of polling the crowd here. 

I/you could go a few directions with this one.  I have some fond memories of figs and magnolias trees as a kid.  And the Wye Oak is one of my favorite for its sheer majesty. 

But I'd say my favorite is a mulberry.  An old neighborhood had a couple of them that grew along the edge of some of the common grounds.  They were fairly thin/small trees.  But a couple of summers ago I volunteered at a urban community garden for a couple of work days.  They had a huge tree in the center of their property.  I'd guess the thing had a 20-30' shady cover. 

Pros:  tasty fruit, versatile fruit, lots of fruit, easy propagation, adjusts to environment, drought tolerant, attacks birds (birds like them more than blackberries).

Cons:  fruit stains

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: What is your favorite tree and why?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 04:26:32 PM »
Well I might well say my apple. But it can't be. As much as I love the MN honeycrisp I prefer more complex apple varietals. So my best tree doesn't make the cut.

I think my hazelnut. I like going into winter with a few pounds of hazelnuts to make desserts.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 05:17:34 PM »
My favorite landscape tree is the linden.  It has a nice shape, and when it blooms it perfumes the area.  The bees love it, and they make a nice honey from the nectar.  The tree hums with all the pollinators during blossom time.  My favorite food tree is probably the chestnut.  It looks good, and I love chestnuts. 

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 05:52:47 PM »
I love Fig trees because I love figs and Magnolias just because but I despise the seed cones, worse than pine cones on lawnmower blades. Mulberry trees you couldn't give me one not even a non-bearing mulberry. Most are gone from the neighborhood now but one neighbor still has one. You get one bird eating the mulberries and you get a thousand little trees starting to grow.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 01:33:28 PM »
In my neck of the woods we don't have much variety.

The choices are Birch, Aspen, Willow, Spruce, and Alder.
Out of those choices, I think Aspen is my favorite to look at. Birch is my favorite to cut down to heat my house. Alder is my favorite for grilling.

Once you get out of Interior Alaska, I think my favorite is probably Maple or Oak.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 03:40:18 PM »
semi standard newton pippin apple.  Madrone (and manzaneta) .  Mulberries.  chestnut.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 01:02:30 PM »
I almost went with a golden delicious apple myself.  The fruit is a staple in my family. 

I think my hazelnut. I like going into winter with a few pounds of hazelnuts to make desserts.

Did you get your hazelnut through the Arbor Day offering?

I love Fig trees because I love figs and Magnolias just because but I despise the seed cones, worse than pine cones on lawnmower blades. Mulberry trees you couldn't give me one not even a non-bearing mulberry. Most are gone from the neighborhood now but one neighbor still has one. You get one bird eating the mulberries and you get a thousand little trees starting to grow.

So your favorite tree is?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
NOt sure i my list was obvious, the number one favorite is the Newton Pippin Apple tree on semi-stndard rootstock (M-111)

Pros:  A versital apple. We like it fresh, it stores well, it is great dried, it is great canned in slices for pies all winter, it makes great applesauce and great juice even all by itself.  I like the semistandard rootstock trained in a delayed central leader for this tree.  Pros on that,  that rootstock is very drought tolerant, trees on it will give fruit in a California drought with no added water;  you can prune it to whatever height and size you want, even keep the tree small but still have the good semistandard root structure, I pruned mine this way as this shape only needs initial pruning for a few years, then it can be let go, and I do not have the strength or energy to keep pruning;  It is also such a beautiful, statement tree in this shape, makes us happy just to look at it;  I kept branches fairly low, it is pruned to be climbed by young children.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 08:06:30 PM »
Satsuma.  Wonderful citrus fruit that's hearty enough to grow on the northern Gulf coast.

Offline Nathanprice

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »
I like sycamore. First time I saw this tree in europe, then found few in my region, but it was too far. What you think If I would bought one for my garden? Here the description https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platanus_occidentalis

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 07:30:40 AM »
Did you get your hazelnut through the Arbor Day offering?

Nope. I bought a 2 for 1 out of a catalog. One didn't make it but the other produces well. It's a little on the ugly side being a kind of shrub/tree/gangly thing but I like the nuts and darn near every guest to the house says "what's that?" so it's kinda fun.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 11:43:27 AM »
Satsuma.  Wonderful citrus fruit that's hearty enough to grow on the northern Gulf coast.

Oh! I LOVE satsumas... got hooked on them and kumquats when we lived in LA.

I think my favorite may be the pecan... beautiful tree providing shade in summer, wonderful mulch in the fall and the most delicious nuts!!!

@David: Planning to plant filberts/hazelnuts at the new homestead. I hope it will do well in the new climate. Love cooking with them.