Author Topic: 3D Printed Concrete Home  (Read 284 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
3D Printed Concrete Home
« on: March 12, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »
This is looking very promising, especially for earthquake prone areas.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-3-d-printed-family-home-a-texas-startup-says-it-can-deliver-11552334520
A 3-D-Printed Family Home? A Texas Startup Says It Can Deliver
Company says it will be able to print a concrete house in days, shaving 30% from total construction cost

A Texas startup says it will be able to use a 3-D printer to churn out a concrete house within days by year-end, a technology that has the potential to help solve housing shortages but faces regulatory and technical hurdles.

“It’s no longer a science project,” said Jason Ballard, co-founder and chief executive of the construction-technology company, Icon.

The firm says the printer, unveiled Monday, can produce bungalows of up to 2,000 square feet, nearly as large as the typical 2,400-square-foot American home.
Icon said it costs about $20,000 and takes several days to 3-D print a 2,000-square-foot house. After factoring in the cost of land and other construction such as plumbing and finishes, it works out to a reduction of about 30% in total costs, Mr. Ballard said.
Jonathan Lawless, vice president for product development and affordable housing at Fannie Mae , said he is working to assure the lending industry that 3-D-printed homes could be a less risky bet than conventional homes because concrete withstands natural disasters better than wood frame and leads to lower energy costs.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
Re: 3D Printed Concrete Home
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 01:20:28 PM »
I hope this works out well for them. It seems like as a first generation, this is great. It seems like it would be quite easy to scale up the height or width for the second generation.

Offline scoop

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »
I lived in a concrete home when I was stationed in California. It was built in the 30's and had no air conditioning. Key factors in maintaining comfort were very high walls and tall windows which could be opened at the top and bottom for convection circulation. It's also imperative there be an air gap or insulation inside the outside walls. In the case of the house I lived in, the walls were 18 inches thick with a six inch void in the middle.
The house stayed cool except for the hottest days, but it was still livable.
Architecture was mission style and quite good looking.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 09:27:53 AM »
There was someone in California who built concrete houses and put the insulation on the outside of the mass of the house. The house would then try to stay at the temperature of it's foundation.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 10:40:58 AM »
I lived in a concrete house in Hungary with radiant floor heating and it was COLD in the winter. It felt like the floors pulled heat out of your feet and the walls were just cold to be near.  It was a 3 story house of all concrete no visible air gaps or insulation.  It was very nice in the summer but cold in winter.  The weather was not as bad as Ohio in Winter there.  I would not want to live in that kind of construction in a Northern climate.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
How much insulation did it have on the outside walls? The houses in CA had 2" thick foam board down to 6" below ground level. No basement. They builder did all this just to keep the stucco from cracking.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 10:40:22 AM »
As far as I know no insulation, but the exterior concrete face was very light.  It may have had a foaming agent added to an exterior layer.  I am not sure.  It just made me suspect all concrete construction and radiant floor heating.  Although my current electric forced air makes me want gas heat back, but that another conversation.