Author Topic: I Need Help With Cornbread  (Read 671 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
I Need Help With Cornbread
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:21:56 PM »
On my latest vacation we went to a really high end restaurant on a small island off Puerto Rico. It was a wild place with sushi and BBQ and maybe a few watermelon tequila cocktails...

But the cornbread. Oh wow. I've had cornbread and make my own stateside but this was different. I expect cornbread to be coarse, crumbly, and a little dry. I had a friend from S. Carolina make it for me and his was exactly like mine.

But this was different. It glistened like it had been soaked in honey and it broke softly like a cake. It was sweet and soft and cakey. The corn was there but it was also buttery and light.

Anybody know what this is? I'd win some brownie points with the Mrs. if I could recreate it.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: I Need Help With Cornbread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:31:45 PM »
Never having seen or eaten the exact one you did, I use this one from the description:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Half & Half milk/cream
1/4 cup melted Butter
1/4 cup honey
2 large lightly beaten eggs

Preheat oven to 400 Degrees

Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl. Stir in all remaining ingredients just until moistened.

Pour into greased 8- or 9-inch square baking pan. Bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

It's very cake-y, moist and sweet.  Add Honey to taste.

The Professor

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »
Professors recipe looks good for standard ingredients.  But, all corn flour is NOT alike.  So far as I know, all USA cornmeal/cornflour is made from dent corn.  Like what we use for animal feed, ethanol etc...  But there are 3 types of dry corn dent, flint and flour.  YOu can look this up, the differences in the different parts of the kernel.  ANyway, flour corn realy is a very different, amazing product.  I have never seen it sold whole or ground commercially.  But, if you can find any, or grow your own, you can make about anything with it, no needd to mix with wheat flour.  I have even made a chiffon cake with 100% ground FLOUR corn ( chiffon cakes are so much eggs, you can substitute to gluten free easily like this) ANyway, best cornbreads I have ever made used this type of home-grown corn, and 100% corn, no all purpose or other wheat flour.  SO, besides the recipes, I also wonder which type of corn their ground corn was from.  ANd, corn goes rancid easily, so most commercially bought corn meal/flour is seperated, remove the germ I believe, to not be whole corn.  Again, there is also a very big difference with fresh ground, whole corn from what you get at the store

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 03:01:44 AM »
FWIW I've accidentally and later intentionally made cornbread with Zatarain's Seasoned Fish Fry instead of corn meal. The first time I thought the result was interesting, the second not so much. Both times the result definitely was more cakey that when using corn meal. Zatarain's Season Fish Fry is made with corn flour, Zatarain's Fish Fry (unseasoned) is made with corn meal according to google.

And as pointed out elsewhere Amazon has "everything". Looks like the best price unless you want a 50 lb. bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-River-Organic-Milling-Specialty/dp/B0049YMAJ2/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2UIU9Z8Q3EOIL&keywords=corn%2Bflour&qid=1553592179&s=gateway&sprefix=corn%2Bf%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-12&th=1
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:25:42 AM by Redman »

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 05:08:54 AM »
Thanks all. I will look into corn options and maybe this week try my hand at making this style. It was so out of left field for me.

MM- As much as I have worked in flour I never did any corn work other than pick the sweet corn on the farm. I know there are vast differences but I need to do more homework. Thanks.

Working on it!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 10:38:29 AM »
I've always thought baking cornbread in a cast-iron skillet made the crust so extra yummy... and don't skimp on the butter :)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »
good diagram and pictures of the different types here :  https://milesawayfarmww.com/2016/10/06/learning-about-corn/

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »
Good info MM.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 09:00:19 PM »
I did try the popcorn grinding method, I was never really happy with the results.  Thing did get a lot better when I did 2 things.

Use cast iron pan and sieve the flour to remove the tiny popcorn tips. 

I ended up tweaking what I put in that came close to what the The Professor posted.