Author Topic: Friend gave me a Synology NAS WOO HOO DIY netflix  (Read 577 times)

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Friend gave me a Synology NAS WOO HOO DIY netflix
« on: April 01, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »
Hi All

Well gonna admit something
When I am home after a hard days work and I feel like binge watching Airwolf I hate to change DVD's

I also have this thing about having backups of stuff. Must be a prepper thing or something.

Anyways a friend who runs a home business recently uploaded all of his data to the cloud and asked me if I wanted his NAS along with 2 servers and monitors and such.

Well yeah says I.

Anyways I like this NAS best of all. I have loaded a bunch of digitized TV shows I have on DVD on to it. Using Kodi or just by mapping the drive to other PCs I can watch what I want when I want.

One of the servers I loaded Zorin Linux on it and am learning that.

My wife thinks I am becoming more crazy all the time.

Anyways just sharing

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Friend gave me a Synology NAS WOO HOO DIY netflix
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:57:04 AM »
I have been looking at building up a NAS, thinking using an older Intel box and running freeNAS OS to convert it into something more useful.

Which Synology did you end up getting? And is it configured as JBOB (just a bunch of disks) or in a raid?

But that hardware is nice.

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:06:13 AM »
Synology 5 bay NAS DiskStation DS1515+
That one is what I have

I saw a youtube vid that I believe he said you can download and use the software without the actual NAS
Guy did just what you were speaking of I think

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »
Plex will run on that, but only handle 480p transcoding.

But load all your videos on the NAS and set up Plex on one of the servers.  I have my little Buffalo NAS with 300+ movies and about a dozen full series or TV shows that we watch.  All that on a 2TB NAS.  My Plex server is a ThinkServer with a Xeon processor, I don't recall which.