Author Topic: Blacksmith Resources  (Read 431 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Blacksmith Resources
« on: April 03, 2019, 08:47:43 AM »
A friend's son has decided the meaning of life is blacksmithing. He's college age and has some experience but really wants to double down on it. His mom (my friend) asked if I knew anyone or how to get tools on the cheap. While I know the ins and outs of wood tools I really don't know much about blacksmithing. My best response was the unfortunate one I give to all young maker types: Show up and volunteer to do odd jobs at a shop if they will give you experience and bring a case of beer or a bottle of Scotch. Most of my breed are more than willing to help teach the basics and give some guidance on where to start and even advice on the business itself.

But if any of you have good blacksmith resources I'd be much obliged to pass them on. I love helping young people get into the maker lifestyle. If he's pumped to make custom knives (seems to be the thing right now) I know he'll end up goofing off with all kinds of stuff. Thanks.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Blacksmith Resources
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 06:37:26 AM »
Here is a source for online classes. The "starter" class isn't terribly expensive. Used tools probably can be found on eBay and perhaps not too expensive but new might not break the bank either. Maybe check Amazon. I have no experience with any of these places cause I don't do blacksmithing.

https://beginblacksmithing.com/

eBay link
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/blacksmith

Probably find some on Craig's list also.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 05:03:07 PM »

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
Check Facebook  I am in a Blacksmithing group there that has classes.  I have not had time to go but there is another group on making equipment.  I also took 2 classes at my local "historical village" (Zoar Village in Zoar Ohio near Canton).  Other places may have  a program.  I can not find anything on Facebook on my !@!@$ phone.  I will find the names of the groups.  One is DIY tools I think and the other is to a Cleveland group.

Sorry I do not have better answers at the moment and I am not sure if I will be able to get info from Home PC for a while, but search Blacksmithing in Facebook there are some groups there.