Author Topic: Help me find a book. . .  (Read 204 times)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Help me find a book. . .
« on: April 06, 2019, 07:55:34 PM »
Ok, this one's been bugging me for days.

A long time ago, let's say between 1995 and 2010, someone wrote a book about the US being invaded.  If I recall correctly, this was a major mainstream title carried in bookstores well before the the TEOTWAWKI issue became more commonplace.  I also think it was written by a well-known author, one more suited to writing political thrillers.

Some things I remember from the book (in no particular order):

When it was determined where one of the primary invasion points was going to be (Florida?  Mississippi? Alabama?), the military evacuated the citizenry and a point was made about how they were cutting down the street signs in towns to make navigation by the invading forces more difficult.

Once the invasion began, a special forces unit infiltrated one of their bivouac areas and planted remote- or time-release poison gas mines to kill the troops in their bunks when they slept.

One of the Special Forces, perhaps the main character, was escaping and evading just ahead of the invading troops when he came across two old guys hiding in a camoflaged tree stand.  When he confronted them, they told him they were too old to run and wanted to kill some of the invaders, hopefully slowing down their advance.  IIRC, the character gave them a couple of grenades and wished them luck.

That's all I can really remember.  Does any of this ring anyone's bells?

The Professor

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: Help me find a book. . .
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 06:00:26 AM »
I can’t recall a book like that.  But interestingly I do recall from that time period some fringe groups being convinced the UN was going to invade us.  They pointed to mysterious colored stickers on the back of stop signs as ways for the different invasion groups to follow their routes to various assembly areas.  The period you think this book comes from seems about right to have been playing on that theme.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 05:40:46 PM »
The description doesn't ring a bell for me... have you perused the wikipedia list?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_fiction

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 09:23:22 PM »
The description doesn't ring a bell for me... have you perused the wikipedia list?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_fiction

Yeah, sadly, it's not on that list.  Like I said, this was by a well-known writer at the time.  I don't know if it would fall into "apocalyptic" fiction.

<sigh> This is why I seldom give books away.  I always knew this would happen.

The Professor