Author Topic: Sliding doors-how will we get out?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Sliding doors-how will we get out?
« on: April 18, 2019, 08:24:20 PM »
I mean the big electrically-operated glass sliding doors that are everywhere nowadays in stores and other biggish buildings.
They're apparently triggered by a sensor when somebody approaches them, but what if there's a fire and the place is full of smoke and the sensor can't see us trying to get out?
Also, suppose the fire has melted the electric cables and the doors won't get triggered anyway?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Sliding doors-how will we get out?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 10:49:18 PM »
Yes that would be a problem. Glad you brought that up.
Similiar to electric car windows and door locks. Run your car off into the pond, and the electrics quit working before you can get a window down.
We keep a seatbelt/window hammer in our vehicles just for that.

How about mounting a BFH on the walls by those big store doors?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 05:31:40 AM »
I mean the big electrically-operated glass sliding doors that are everywhere nowadays in stores and other biggish buildings.
They're apparently triggered by a sensor when somebody approaches them, but what if there's a fire and the place is full of smoke and the sensor can't see us trying to get out?
Also, suppose the fire has melted the electric cables and the doors won't get triggered anyway?

No problem. Yes there is a motion detector for the doors however they will swing open on hinges quite easily with a good sharp rap of a fist or shopping basket. I've done it many times when they malfunction. Sometimes you'll even see a decal on the door telling you this, might not be in plain sight though. You can also push them sideways if necessary.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 05:25:09 PM »
Those doors have built in break away hardware that allows them to be opened manually like Redman said.  Built in hinges similar to revolving doors.  Revolving doors collapse and open and there are required to be regular man doors with panic hardware adjacent to them.  It's in the Building and Fire Codes. 

Now escalators are a real problem!  When those things stop working people are trapped!  :) 

Online Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 11:16:57 AM »
Now escalators are a real problem!  When those things stop working people are trapped!  :)

;D

But seriously, using an escalator needs some situational awareness about what is waiting for you at the end.  I remember a close call at a convention in a big hotel.

Main lobby_
           E__
            S__
             C__
              A__
               L__
                A__
                 T__
                  O__  Tiny
                   R__ area___DOORS___Convention Hall

When the event opened, people were allowed down the escalator, but they piled up in the tiny area outside the doors to the convention hall.  I remember yelling at people at the bottom to keep moving, and IIRC somebody (maybe me) went back up to the top to stop the incoming flood.  That could have been bad.

Hope you enjoyed my ASCII artwork. 8)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 01:15:24 PM »

Main lobby_
           E__
            S__
             C__
              A__
               L__
                A__
                 T__
                  O__  Tiny
                   R__ area___DOORS___Convention Hall

Hope you enjoyed my ASCII artwork. 8)

;D 8)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 05:45:57 PM »

I've never been in a building with escalators or elevators that didn't have a stairwell connecting all floors.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 02:33:15 AM »
Speaking of escalators, the one in WH Smiths store was once broken and stopped but people were still allowed to walk up it like a flight of stairs, BUT I COULDN'T DO IT, I kept tripping up, so had to sheepishly U-turn and go use the staircase instead with no problem.
I'd used the escalator when it was working a thousand times before, so I can only assume that my brain and inner-ear balance and inertia/motion-sensing mechanism was programmed to negotiate a moving escalator only, but because it had stopped my brain just couldn't handle it, boy am I weird..

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 03:21:46 AM »
Walking up or down a stopped escalator is not a recommended thing to do. The rise of the treads is wrong as you discovered.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »
Another time, I was shopping in Sports Direct with my niece and her toddler daughter, and as we stepped onto the top of the escalator to ride it down, the little brat didn't step on with us and stood at the top screaming like a banshee, so I turned round to run up the escalator to take her hand but I couldn't do it, I kept tripping up and scraped my shins!
Again, it must be something to do with the motion-sensing inner ear mechanism and eye-brain co-ordination that made me totally incapable..:)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 04:57:16 PM »
Could be but again the rise of the treads is wrong. In high school we had to run up and down the bleachers. Boy you take about wrong height and wrong stride.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 07:14:43 AM »
I can't speak for Europe but stateside in an emergency the front door is almost always a bad idea. Much better to duck out the back to a loading dock.

Ever since I read Survivor's Club I've been keen on locating the best emergency exit of every major building I go to. I don't want to be engulfed in the massive horde rushing to the main doors. I actually had this happen at my corporate job during a fire drill when the head of building safety saw me sprinting the "wrong" direction but I was the first to the rally point. I didn't go to the the close exit with the other 200 employees cued up. I ran to the rear exit in the plant wing and was the only one to use it.

I'm not scared that *I* couldn't get through sliding doors. I'm scared of the other 50 people who won't be able and cause a crowd based issue.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 10:28:17 AM »
Another thing I've long wondered about is whether people should keep parachutes in their homes (and offices) in very tall buildings in case of fire?
Sure, some might get injured if the wind whipped them against the building on the way down, and the landing in the streets below might cause further injury, but better to be injured than killed by flames and smoke inhalation, what do forum members think?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 11:47:24 AM »
If I was that far up and had to jump, I'd grab a bad guy or someone I didn't like, and use them. You know, use em for a pillow.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
Another thing I've long wondered about is whether people should keep parachutes in their homes (and offices) in very tall buildings in case of fire?
Sure, some might get injured if the wind whipped them against the building on the way down, and the landing in the streets below might cause further injury, but better to be injured than killed by flames and smoke inhalation, what do forum members think?

That presupposes that people had some sort of parachute training don't you think.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 04:30:56 AM »
That presupposes that people had some sort of parachute training don't you think.

I've had zero para training mate, but I think I'd know how to pull a ripcord and that's all the "training" I'd want!
Believe me I'd strap on that chute, yell "Geronimo" and be out that window as soon as my pants began to smoulder..:)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 06:47:54 AM »
There are whole product lines designed to get out of a building. One example...

https://www.sosparachute.com/en/site/sos

I don't know how well they work but you can find parachutes, rappel lines, all kinds of crap. Got popular after 9/11. Still stings a little as I had a family friend on a 1 day business trip to the south tower. They never found so much as a bone.

I don't get it though. Am I going to rappel through the fire or try to deploy a parachute in an urban area? Parachutes don't work so well when the wind slams you into another building and into power lines. My parachute kit would definitely include a helmet, mouthguard, and fresh underwear.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 07:54:48 AM »
Looking at last resort items I've seen several you'll not likely seen anywhere but on a drilling rig. The "geronimo line". A line with a T bar and hand brake stretching from the racking (monkey) board to the ground. Strictly a last resort for the person working there to get off the platform in the event of a blowout etc. I've never known anyone that used one voluntarily or otherwise.

There are escape slides that extend from the working floor to the ground. Anything from 10 to 35 foot height. I slide down from a 35' floor once. My butt burned for 2 days.

There are vertical T bar things from the rig floor to the ground that have a spring on the ground to stop them and bounce the bar back to the floor. Like the Geronimo line I never was brave enough to try one of those either. Of course I never needed to use any of them.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »

Believe me I'd strap on that chute, yell "Geronimo" and be out that window as soon as my pants began to smoulder..:)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My parachute kit would definitely include a helmet, mouthguard, and fresh underwear.

Great idea David.  ;D

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 06:10:36 PM »
I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment block and keep this coil of thick rope in the corner in case I have to get out in a hurry if the staircase is full of smoke and flames.
I'll tie one end to a table leg and sling the rest out the window and climb down it, hopefully without hanging myself..

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 06:20:14 PM »
 8) 8)

Lay you a good pair of gloves by that rope.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 04:57:59 PM »
I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment block and keep this coil of thick rope in the corner in case I have to get out in a hurry if the staircase is full of smoke and flames.
I'll tie one end to a table leg and sling the rest out the window and climb down it, hopefully without hanging myself..

Ever climb down a rope like that?  Not an easy task.  Might want to consider a basic rappel set up or firefighter bailout kit. 

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 07:16:56 PM »
I'll tie one end to a table leg and sling the rest out the window and climb down it, hopefully without hanging myself...
Ever climb down a rope like that?  Not an easy task.  Might want to consider a basic rappel set up or firefighter bailout kit.
You could also tie knots in the rope every 12"-16". That will give you something to hold on to, and make it easier to climb down (or up.)