Author Topic: I Got a Pill Stuck in My Throat  (Read 112 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
I Got a Pill Stuck in My Throat
« on: May 13, 2019, 06:42:39 PM »
It's a little embarrassing. I'm a raging insomniac and on nights where I don't have a Scotch or bourbon (more and more these days) I take a melatonin and a 5-HTP. They seem to work well together at calming and help me sleep. Maybe just in my mind but it helps.

Sunday night after everybody else went to bed I was relaxing and finished stretching. I tossed both pills in my mouth, took a swig of water, and swallowed. Done. But I wasn't. 15 minutes later I could feel one pill stuck at the back of my throat. No biggie. More water. Then some crackers. Then taking a mouthful of water and swallowing while laying flat. Club soda. None of it worked. So I decided to just keep drinking water and it would go eventually. It didn't.

A little after 10 it did move. And kinda sorta impaired my breathing. I coughed. I choked. I staggered to the bathroom and vomited. Must be done by now, right? I lay in the guest bed for an hour calming down and by 11:30 fell asleep.

Woke up at 1:30. It's still there. I must have missed the feeling over the burn of vomiting. Coughing again. But not on the verge of vomiting. Just coughing. Then it finally moves again and somehow tucks itself way back behind my tonsil and I can't get it to move. At all.

I resigned to just sleep. I was physically drained. When I woke it was gone but my throat burned like hell. Not sure what caused the worst of it but man it hurt. I'm mostly cured by now but that was one awful experience.

I remember being young and I could chuck a handful of Motrin in my mouth and swallow with no water after getting banged up. Boy that changed. From now on one pill at a time and be conscious of it. No TV, no distraction. Water before and after.

Just a heads' up. I wouldn't believe this physically possible had it not happened to me.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: I Got a Pill Stuck in My Throat
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »
I've had pills get stuck.  I had a capsule of an antibiotic not go the whole way down and I could feel it dissolving way down in my esophagus.  It hurt like hell and took a good 20 minutes to finally break free.