Author Topic: New book from Paul Wheaton  (Read 647 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
New book from Paul Wheaton
« on: May 04, 2019, 03:47:06 PM »
This is on homesteading, permaculture, and just living better.  The book ( physical book or E book, 200 pages) comes out next fall and can be preordered via kickstarter for a few more days only.  The book is very low cost so people can give them to friends, so many levels of the kickstarter are for getting multiple books.  Initial reviews ( I heard these on a weekly podcs, not on the kickstarter site) of the pre-published book are good.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/better-world-book?ref=caqlei

There are also alot of e-books and such on homesteading topics that come with various levels of kickstarter support. 

This book is a rich collection of things you can do at home that make a huge, positive, global difference. Without politics or being angry at bad guys. This book features a strong focus on adding luxury to your life instead of sacrifice. And the frosting on the cake is saving a lot of money. 

There have been too many recent reports that have spelled out "it's too late." Maybe if the authors of those reports get this book, they will change their report to "there's still hope! If enough of us do the stuff in this book ...."

We all hear about the problems. And usually the solutions are to shake our fists at “the bad guys.” Personal solutions are often about sacrifice: be cold in the winter, eat sawdust, volunteer for dysfunctional organizations, write to politicians, travel less, buy crap marketed as “good for the environment,” take cold showers… I need to point out that most of that stuff makes almost no difference, and some of those things actually make the problems worse. In this book, I put a number on those things and I show the numbers for things that really make a HUGE difference.  Save the planet, turn the heat up in winter, take hot showers, eat delicious food, and save thousands of dollars along the way!

And most of all, no anger required. Go ahead and be angry at the bad guys if you want. But I wish to show you a path that will be a thousand times more effective. It turns out to be easy.

you can click on the little video about the project at the link, which is good, and the table of contents is also listed there

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: New book from Paul Wheaton
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »
forgot to say, it is for regular people on smaller lots as well as us with a few acres, the title is "  Building a Better World in Your Backyard "

Excerpt from the Introduction:

“For nearly every global problem, there are solutions we can implement in our backyard that also save us money and help us live more luxuriant lives. A few of us do these things and bask in the flow of the opulence and extra cash. Others observe and think, “I want extra luxury and money too! Not fair!” And then they emulate. And on and on it goes. Then the global problems sorta just dry up and blow away. That’s what this book is all about.

I think the reason we see so many people angry is because they authentically care; but they seem to get stuck at being angry. Some people spend a hundred hours a week for 20 years being angry and not much changes. But I think that if you spend a tiny fraction of that time doing the things mentioned in this book, your global positive impact will be a thousand times greater.”

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 07:56:01 PM »
Sorry to post more, but I found out where the early reviewers posted their reviews of the pre-production book.  ( I had only heard a few read out loud on a podcast)  Times are tough, so if you want to know what people think about it before investing that $10 or ?  Go to this link, and scroll down to the reader comments
https://permies.com/wiki/109851/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
20 hours left, and Steve Harris approved,  and I'm gonna have to learn to read e-books and knit while watching alot of online streamed permaculture content.... Here is the email just sent out today from Steven Harris:   ( He is right, it has gone viral, like one of the most supported non-fictions on kickstarter.  GLORY level has 12 books ( physical ) of the betterworld book to give away to friends, an audio version of the betterworld book, plus ebooks on natural pools, organic dairy farming,  edible landscaping, natural cleaner recipes, streaming video content on world domination gardening, all the video from Permaculture voices 1 ( 52 speakers/70presentations, all the top names), downloadable plans for the latest rocket stove, downloadable plans for a large solar dehydrator, and various shorter videos too many to list)

GONE in 21 HOURS.  16 Stretch Goals / BONUSES have been BROKEN!  Open to you. 100% Guaranteed.  You KNOW you'll get the book AND the TON of video and other knowledge in the 16+ bonuses. They are ALL available at the GLORY level.  You have to see the list to believe it. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/better-world-book?ref=3tvktb

If you like gardening or permaculture or do it at HOME on the HOMESTEAD or the family farm or even your back yard, this is the BUNDLE for you to get a the GLORY level.   This reason alone is a great reason to get the book.  "- Double the Food with 1/10th the effort from your Garden"   If you just want ONLY the book, its only 10 bucks.  If you want the 16+ bonus items, get the GLORY Level.

If you got a lower level, you can UPGRADE to GLORY and get EVERYTHING.

SHORT ANSWER:  Watch his 3 minute video.  He's a master at explaining.  Click the Image BELOW.

LOAD IMAGES TO SEE THE 3 MIN VIDEO HERE !!!

- Great NEW Book on what you can DO NOW at HOME.
- DO NOT turn down the thermostat, be WARMER with less fuel.
- Double the Food with 1/10th the effort from your Garden.
- The Wicked Lies about Light Bulbs (Mind Opening) [ Getting FREE LIGHT ] No Joke.

- Make your Life MORE Comfortable (and do it SMARTER) and its do it in your backyard and HOME

Paul Wheaton and this book is 100% Harris Approved.   You ONLY have 21 Hours to get it...sorry, I've been so swamped.  I'd get it today.  Click HERE https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/better-world-book?ref=3tvktb or click on the video above.

Thank you,
Steve
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:45:38 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »
Thanks for the post, I am going to stick to the e-book version and see what is what.  So yes, just signed up

I already have a few of is books in dead tree format.  They can be real useful.

Down to about 1hr+ left. Goal was met

[added] Note:  Just scanned down at some of the upgrades - nice - you can get a lot of very good stuff at the higher levels.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 12:48:04 PM »
Thanks for the post, I am going to stick to the e-book version and see what is what.  So yes, just signed up

I already have a few of is books in dead tree format.  They can be real useful.

Down to about 1hr+ left. Goal was met

[added] Note:  Just scanned down at some of the upgrades - nice - you can get a lot of very good stuff at the higher levels.

the people who funded real high likely did so wanting to go to the 2 back to back courses at wheaton labs, so then spending that 1000 was actually a deal for them ! -- Just checked.  Yep, 5 funded at 1000, those 5 get first dibs on 6 spaces for a 2 week permaculture course, a 2 week appropriate technology course, and a 1 week stay at a cabin there with a friend.  They could each take a spot at all three.  WHatever they dont use will filter down to the $500 people, and I wonder that a few 500 people who want to go might have bumped up a little

Ebook version is still a good deal ! Isnt it 2 codes ? One for you and one to give to a friend ?  and some other ebook and various videos
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:01:49 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 01:03:33 PM »
There is -1- spot at $1000 left that would have both those 2 week course, and hte week stay and everything, with 50 something minutes to go.

Be forwarned that the permaculture course is the last 2 weeks of june, and hte appropriate technology the first 2 weeks of july, so not much notice. 

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »
That's pretty cool that they hit $150k!
Can't wait for the goodies to start rolling out.