Author Topic: Starting your own businees - Restaurant Industry Market Research  (Read 155 times)

Offline PurpleClover

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Hi all!

I'm currently on maternity leave with my first child. We live on 33 acres and I'd like to look into raising quail for meat and eggs as a business, aiming to be able to quit my job at some point!

To begin, I'd like to contact restaurants in a nearby major market (I'm in Aus and it's the capital city. Lots of disposable income too) to gauge their interest in quail meat and eggs. Not having much restaurant experience, my main question is, who at these restaurants do I want to talk to? The Chefs, as opposed to Management??

Also would love input to what I should ask. So far I've come up with simply:

1. Do you currently buy quail meat/eggs?

if yes
2. How much per week and at price?

if no
3. Why not? Would you like to - how much per week and at what price?

Anything else I need to be asking?

THANKS!!

PS - I have searched the blog and podcasts, as I know Jack has discussed market research, but I think there's an issue with the search function....

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Starting your own businees - Restaurant Industry Market Research
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »
Here are a few suggestions.  Approach the business clean and well dressed. Give the impression that you are prepared to do business with them. Ask who does the food buying as sometimes the chef makes a food order request to a manager. I would try to get to the Chef first and see if they would have any interest in your product. You might even go there first and have a small meal and scan the menu. Restaurants are always looking for something new but need to be assured that there will be a steady supply of raw materials. As far as pricing goes you need to study your business and decide what is your bottom line pricing to maintain yourself so you can assure them that you'll be there in the long haul. After that think about what would happen if more restaurants hear about you and want to be supplied too. Are you in a position to invest the time, money and energy into a growing business for several years to achieve some stability. Also be prepared to take the hit if for some unknown reason a restaurant quits. Food businesses are the number one in business failures. This is just a few things to think about, there are many more. Visualize your dream and stay after it. Stay focused.

Offline PurpleClover

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Starting your own businees - Restaurant Industry Market Research
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 10:41:12 PM »
Thanks so much for your time :)