Author Topic: Bacteria in my well  (Read 475 times)

Offline ga-qhd

• Survivor
Bacteria in my well
« on: May 24, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
I have a relatively shallow bored well (43' deep, 2' in diameter).  When I returned it to service after about ...5-10 years, the coliform test came back positive.  I was getting surface water into the well bore.  I had some refurbishing done and, after another gallon of bleach, it was fine.  Six months later, I have tested it again and it again is positive for coliforms (most of which are apparently non-pathogenic; coliforms are used as an indicator species to detect when contamination is present).  I've been drinking it and haven't had any issues, but I'll shock it again--however, this will probably recur.  The concrete well casing seems to be in good shape, and the water is 27' down--which should be deep enough that the soil should filter it.  Nonetheless, shallow wells are apparently notorious for trouble on an ongoing basis.

I have a Royal Berkey that I have never set up, but which I could start using routinely. I do go through a lot of drinking water, so would cycle it frequently. Or I could drill a deep well (200' or more) into the aquifer and get what my well guy says would be organism-free, but iron-laden water.  Or do nothing  and / or shock it with more bleach periodically.  The cooperative extension service put out a piece a few years ago that suggested almost nobody living off of bored wells ever gets their water tested.

Any thoughts?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Bacteria in my well
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 05:39:00 PM »
no.  but I will be watching this.  Wells are a mystery to me, and I want to know more (mine is 370') about their vagarities.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 07:13:56 AM »
Add a UV filter. Not to expensive easy to install.

Offline ga-qhd

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 05:25:43 PM »
Add a UV filter. Not to expensive easy to install.

Thanks for the suggestion--that looks like it has some potential. I do have some sediment in my water (even after 1 micron filtration) but it's minimal.  It could work (and would definitely be a lot cheaper and easier than drilling a new well).