Author Topic: Fun snow tracking yesterday  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
Fun snow tracking yesterday
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:40:41 AM »
Well, I finally got out in the woods.  Its taken this long to get out, even for half a day, since I got back and its been overdue.  Truly, just half a day walking through woods covered in 4 inches of fresh snow, observing tracks and seeing a total of 3 deer and 1 fox has worked miracles on my attitude.  I was slipping into a blue funk without even realizing it.  So, for your health, I strongly recommend you all get out in the woods!

Almost as soon as I got into the edge of the woods, less than 100m from our housing development, I found my first deer tracks.  Following them towards a clear cut area I spotted a pair of ears hopping away from me.  Waiting quietly I observed a yearling doe on the other side of the thicket.  She seemed completely unaware of my, standing in the open in a brown coat, until I began to move.

I walked along a dirt road for about an hour before turning around and coming back.  Along the path I observed the tracks of deer, dogs, fox and hare.  There were also at least 2 I have not positively identified yet.  I also jumped 2 more, larger deer and watched one red fox that was preparing to cross the path turn a 180 faster than I thought possible.  Far too fast for me to get a picture, but just to see him briefly was a true blessing.  

One puzzle I came across was what, at first, appeared to be the tracks of an elk sized animal.  They led directly to the pile of timber in the photo and appeared to disappear.  Upon closer inspection, they became a hare, hopping with his feet very close together.  This one had me scratching my head for a minute.

Here are some pics of the day.  The last 5 I haven’t positively ID’d yet.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:47:22 AM by CPT CAVEMAN »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Fun snow tracking yesterday
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:19:17 PM »
Nice Cpt., thanks for sharing.

A walk in the woods, or at least with nature is soothing for the soul.  It's my therapy when I need reminding, or when I need to forget as well.

A couple of scenes from my Ozark hills for you.

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 01:55:33 AM »
Thanks, man.  Great pics.  The first reminds me a lot of my beloved Appalachians.  The second really makes me want to bust out my trapping gear and get out after some beaver and otter.

All of it is a balm for the soul!  Too often we forget that beauty is as necessary for our long term survival as anything could be.  Its right there, in the last rule of the Rule of 3...3 months without love.

Offline conan1

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 02:52:56 AM »
Nice Cpt., thanks for sharing.

A walk in the woods, or at least with nature is soothing for the soul.  It's my therapy when I need reminding, or when I need to forget as well.

A couple of scenes from my Ozark hills for you.

Beautiful pictures.  I wish I had a lake on my land.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »
Beautiful pictures.  I wish I had a lake on my land.
Me Too. ;D

That's Turkey Creek a couple of counties over from where I live.

I'm standing on an OLD iron bridge.  We still have a lot of those in use around here. (most of them need to be torn down)