Author Topic: This years corn crops  (Read 824 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
This years corn crops
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:27:37 AM »
Are we headed for a very low harvest?

With the late plantings and flooding in the NE, IA, IL, KS, and MO fields, and then the possible frost damage to the late harvest, we may be.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/the-us-corn-belt-is-in-uncharted-territory-as-experts-focus-on-2-key-weather-factors/70009175

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: This years corn crops
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
It is looking bad here.  Crop is about 4 weeks behind and doesnt look like season will stretch enough to make up for it. 

However, they are throttleing back ethonol production.  So we shouldnt see shortage for food.  But terrible situation for farmers as it will be low yields without a price spikecto make up for it.   On otherhand, next year could be good time to pick up farmland as some get shaken out of market.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 08:50:37 AM »
In the grocery stores I'm seeing corn with shucks and silk still attached going anywhere from 7 to 10 ears for a $1. That's better price than past years I think. Actually I think I saw 20 ears/$1 one place but might be imagining that.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 06:28:56 PM »
I think the sweet corn did ok, Redman. It’s the field corn that’s been socked hard. It definitely will be a hard year for farmers. Usually one bad year is survivable. Hopefully weather will cooperate next year, and the Chinese market should fully return in 2021.  I’m hopeful most farmers will  recover.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »
Our ear corn is .40 each now. :(

Talking to the beef rancher across the road the other night, while we were playing cards. He said his ground corn prices have gone down. He had no idea why. Maybe they are digging out old, broken up stored govco corn from somewhere and hauling it in.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 06:03:02 AM »
I think the sweet corn did ok, Redman. It’s the field corn that’s been socked hard. It definitely will be a hard year for farmers. Usually one bad year is survivable. Hopefully weather will cooperate next year, and the Chinese market should fully return in 2021.  I’m hopeful most farmers will  recover.

OK, I can't discuss because living where I do I don't know anything about the field corn crops.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 08:53:49 AM »
In the grocery stores I'm seeing corn with shucks and silk still attached going anywhere from 7 to 10 ears for a $1. That's better price than past years I think. Actually I think I saw 20 ears/$1 one place but might be imagining that.

That is really cheap. I was thinking your ears were probably coming from Alabama, where a lot of ear corn is grown. But their corn should have  all been gone a couple of months ago.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 09:18:56 AM »
Don't know where it comes from except Kroger will advertise Olathe sweet corn early in the summer. From Olathe, CO. And they price the stuff like gold.