Author Topic: Scissors for EDC  (Read 1237 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Scissors for EDC
« on: July 20, 2019, 07:09:03 PM »
So I've been reworking my EDC.  As I sit back and study what's in my EDC, I took a look at the edged tools I have in my Maxpedition pouch.  Initially I had a multitool and a razor knife in there.  I also carry a small multitool in my pocket at all times.  It got me thinking that I really don't need that extra multitool in my EDC.  It is just taking up space.  I have pliers and a knife blade on my pocket multitool and when I'm at work, I have a pair of pliers in my desk, along with a pocket knife.  In my car there's a pair of pliers and a couple of knives in my GHB and in my tool kit.  So why do I need another multitool?

But I didn't want to have just the razor knife.  So I thought back to the tools I use often.  And scissors came to mind.  I use them far more often than a knife.  I use them when in the garden, when I'm at my desk, when I'm running cables and many other times.

So I added a pair of Klein 2100 scissors to my EDC.  They are meant for electricians, but they are great all around scissors.  They will handle snipping fine thread or cutting paper, or they will cut through a copper penny.  They are super useful and I got the ones with the wire stripping notches.

Anyone else carrying scissors in their EDC pouches?

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Scissors for EDC
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 11:27:22 PM »
The Klein scissors are good performers. I need to get another one for my bag. Thanks for the reminder.

Offline Dredrum

• Prepper
  • student of history

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 07:26:37 AM »
Nah, those are way to small for my uses.  I need more cutting power than a pair of 3 1/2" scissors is likely to provide.  I also think they wouldn't be too comfortable.

Maybe they would be great for a much smaller kit.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
In my leather shop I use E-Z Cut by C.S.Osborne & Co. I cut 7 to 9 oz leather easily. Also they do not have points on the end.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 05:06:05 PM »
In my leather shop I use E-Z Cut by C.S.Osborne & Co. I cut 7 to 9 oz leather easily. Also they do not have points on the end.
They look nice for a leather shop, but I can't justify $40 for a pair of everyday scissors.  The Klein scissors are $20 or less for a great pair.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 07:45:48 PM »
I know this isn't what you're looking for, Fritz, but I wanted to mention the tiny pair of Fiskars scissors we've got in our sewing kit.  The point is so sharp that it could literally be used as a push dagger in an emergency.

Fiskars Micro-Tip Scissors (No. 5)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 09:22:09 AM »
Got me thinking... "Scissors" is kind of a big topic. I initially thought "who would EDC scissors?" Well, me. I'd be lying if I didn't confess to getting a lot of mileage from the Swiss Army Knife scissors I demand having on me at all times. Though I'm quicker to go to a utility knife because my background is in construction scissors are a great tool.

And I ABUSE my kitchen shears. As bad as one of my chef knives. I think they're Henckel (one of the higher end models) and I use them for everything. Not EDC but center stage in the kitchen. A good set of kitchen shears is a must have.

Also when I'm in the yard my toolbelt will have pruning shears and my big Fiskars telescoping pruning shears are never far off. Kind of a big set of scissors for trimming trees.

I guess [the long and short is that I rely heavily on shears almost every day. Never thought about EDC though. Maybe I'll let this run around the brain a bit more.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »
This post was the motivation for my purchasing the Klein scissors, although I still haven’t tried getting on a plane with them yet.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=45790.msg514792#msg514792

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
I found my pair in my EDC so good that I bought another pair to put on my work bench.

As mentioned above, I have a knife on my multitool, I also have a couple of knives in my GHB.  I've never really had a need for a knife in my day to day work that a pair of scissors couldn't handle easier.  Opening mail, opening those damn plastic packages that everything comes in, cutting paper. 

In a SHTF situation, I'm pretty sure my knife will be far more useful, but not in the modern world.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 07:56:29 PM »
I found my pair in my EDC so good that I bought another pair to put on my work bench.

As mentioned above, I have a knife on my multitool, I also have a couple of knives in my GHB.  I've never really had a need for a knife in my day to day work that a pair of scissors couldn't handle easier.  Opening mail, opening those damn plastic packages that everything comes in, cutting paper. 

In a SHTF situation, I'm pretty sure my knife will be far more useful, but not in the modern world.

Good choice.  The Klein electrician scissors are small but heavy duty.  They cut through cloth, wire, plastic, etc. just fine.  I have three pair for my tool bags and shop toolbox.  I tend to use a larger folder for most everything, but those scissors come in handy for a lot of shop tasks.  Never thought of taking them hiking/camping/get home purposes.

The other approach would be to just have a pair of EMT shears handy.  I already have a pair in my small hiking 1st-aid kit.  They cut through most things too except are purposely blunt nose so would not serve for alternate stabbing/puncture duty.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 03:02:58 PM »
I have a few of these. Cheap, very utilitarian, and TSA safe so far. I've flow all over the country with these in my carry on with no issue except for one time they looked at them briefly and let me go.

Amazon has them for less than $9.

EDIT: fixed tags
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 03:25:22 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 05:09:34 PM »
I remember an interview Jack did several years ago, it may have been the guy that survived the Balkan wars.  He would carry this type of scissors any time he flew.  Taking the scissors apart gave him a 4" knife blade, just in case.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 06:23:58 PM »
I have a few of these. Cheap, very utilitarian, and TSA safe so far. I've flow all over the country with these in my carry on with no issue except for one time they looked at them briefly and let me go.

Amazon has them for less than $9.
Now those are plain ingenious!  Take-apart into a reasonable knife, and very useful as scissors.  I don't have plans to fly as much I did in my career, but we will be flying every couple couple of years for vacation or visiting.  I've always taken a couple of knives in checked bags, but these would be comforting to have in carry on. 

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »
Now those are plain ingenious!  Take-apart into a reasonable knife, and very useful as scissors.  I don't have plans to fly as much I did in my career, but we will be flying every couple couple of years for vacation or visiting.  I've always taken a couple of knives in checked bags, but these would be comforting to have in carry on.
Just here to help, thanks.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 07:32:11 PM »
Thanks! I just ordered two pair for the hubs... Amazon prime only $8.75

https://smile.amazon.com/Fiskars-Multipurpose-Straight-Scissors-8-Inch/dp/B00OTHOIUI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=fiskars+multipurpose+scissors+4+in+1&qid=1564499116&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0
I'm going to order a couple more pair and I am using your link so your charity gets a little bump. ;)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 07:43:21 PM »
I have a pair made for gardening, but I went ahead and ordered a pair of these to try out.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 09:24:05 AM »
I'm going to order a couple more pair and I am using your link so your charity gets a little bump. ;)

Aw, thanks! Much appreciated... I wasn't even thinking... just used the link I used to order (I always do my orders using Amazon Smile to get a little donation).