Author Topic: for the bees  (Read 382 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
for the bees
« on: July 26, 2019, 05:23:06 AM »
 I get harassed by this guy, although in a joking way he always says "clean up your yard", "do some landscaping etc". Every time I see him on the conservation trails around here he harasses me

My yard has more bees than you can imagine. I didn't cut the grass at all in some areas as there are these weeds popping up with green stamens and there are bees buzzing all around them like you have never seen. The previous owner planed perennial flowers all over the place and my garden attracts bees.

I can't use natural shampoo in the summer that has the scent of natural flowers or I have bees coming after me like mad

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:52:58 AM by surfivor »

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: for the bees
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 12:45:25 PM »
Yeah but you still need to do some landscaping LOL  ;D

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 03:11:27 PM »
Maybe it's time to put in a section of wildflowers for the bees.

We had a geothermal system put in.  They buried the pipes down the front hill.  I let it go wild, then decided to toss in wildflower seeds and buckwheat seeds.  I mow between the rows of flowers and I have tons of bees.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 10:24:39 PM »
Yeah but you still need to do some landscaping LOL  ;D

I told him if I needed to impress some women bad enough then maybe I would want to have a fancy car or some fancy landscaping. Other than that, I don’t know what it gets me

He says do it for your neighbors, but if I died tomorrow then most of my neighbors wouldn’t miss me too much.  I would just be another statistic of the many

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 05:58:52 PM »

Now I have some kind of hornets or yellow jackets nesting in the south side of my house. I think they like it there because it is warm in the morning. I managed to block up the nest at night with duct tape after I blasted it with hornet spray. You would think they would all be in there at night and that would be the end, but it’s like they come from all around this time of year. They are now trying to nest near the top of the roof on that side and they drove a sparrow out of his nest on a little corner of the house on that side. Where this new nest is it is easier to spray than the last one but I don’t know how easy it will be to get rid of them. I have seen this before. You spray a nest and then you see only a few the next day but give them 5 days and they are back in force. I am prepared to spray them at night every 3 days if I have to spend $50 on hornet spray. Is there a way to trap them without harming bees ?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 08:31:50 PM »
Is there a way to trap them without harming bees ?
Spraying the nest won't impact  bees.  There won't be any bees near the nest.