Author Topic: Suckers on bath mats don't always suck  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Suckers on bath mats don't always suck
« on: July 31, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »
I bought a small 2-foot square rubber bath/shower mat a while back for a few pennies, (the sort with dozens of octopus-type suckers on the bottom) to stop me sliding on the smooth floor of my shower, but the bloody thing is lethal because it doesn't suck, and when you step onto it it's like stepping onto a skateboard!
I only mention it because of the danger to life and limb, so if you've got a mat, don't trust it.

PS- Ideally, shower floors (and baths) should have a milled anti-slide surface so that we wouldn't need a mat anyway.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Suckers on bath mats don't always suck
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 11:46:49 AM »
I remember those things. Was yours supposed to be installed wet or dry?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 05:32:29 AM »

We had one once. One way it would slide the other it didn't slide. Don't remember what way worked now. Try it both ways Gamer.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »

Mine didn't have any instructions at all, it was just a cheap foreign-made thing I bought in our local market.
PS- to digress, I've learnt from experience that all kinds of stuff bought in the market is mostly cheap junk, for example the zippers on a rucksack I bought there soon malfunctioned so nowadays I go to proper stores to buy better quality stuff even though it costs more.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
Mine didn't have any instructions at all, it was just a cheap foreign-made thing I bought in our local market.
PS- to digress, I've learnt from experience that all kinds of stuff bought in the market is mostly cheap junk, for example the zippers on a rucksack I bought there soon malfunctioned so nowadays I go to proper stores to buy better quality stuff even though it costs more.

I agree with looking for the best price but one should also be aware of the quality that you pay for. Often more is not better but then as you've found more is better at times.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 05:19:08 PM »
I agree with looking for the best price but one should also be aware of the quality that you pay for. Often more is not better but then as you've found more is better at times.
Yeah when I was in a cycling club my pals parents bought him a second-hand racing bike on the cheap but the frame snapped while he was riding it but luckily he managed to fishtail to a stop and wasn't injured.
My own parents used to go in for cheap rubbish too, for example my dad once brought a record player home and we kids got electric shocks from it.
PS- If ever I was to buy a gun, no way hozay would I buy second hand because for all we know it could have been dropped or run over or been laying at the bottom of a pond, or getting metal fatigue etc..:)