• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Ticks
« on: August 07, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
Short interview with a guy who researches ticks in New England:

8/7/19: A tick detective wants to understand what drives tick abundance

...I want to understand what drives blacklegged, or deer, ticks’ abundance and infection rate with the Lyme disease bacteria. We broadly understand what is necessary for the tick to live in an area, but have a harder time explaining why there are such tremendous differences in tick abundance in certain locations and during certain years. ...

Ticks have three life stages: larva, nymph and adult. The second two life stages can transmit the Lyme disease bacteria. When most people think about ticks they picture the adult life stage. For the blacklegged tick this is about the size of a sesame seed. I think that most people don’t have a good picture of what a nymphal tick looks like and how small it is. Nymphs are responsible for most transmission of Lyme disease to people, because they are so hard to see when they are feeding on you. ...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 08:32:22 AM »
I wish there were more predators that feed on these things.
Seldom find them in the cities? as far as I know.
Out herein the ozarks in the woods, they are in abundance. We've found them on the dogs in January, if January happens to be a warmer than normal month.
Cold weather doesn't seem to kill them off anymore.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »
I pulled one off my leg Sunday. I hate to admit I've become the parent and uncle who makes the kids strip and does a "tick check" because I hated when they did it to me as a kid but those things are relentless.

Also have a weird pattern. Never by the waterfront and everywhere back in the treeline. So 30 feet means the difference of none at all to completely covered.

I know the state up here does do some spraying and it's been at times an issue where they killed a bunch of trees and some pets got sick.

I wish I had a good piece of advice other than strip searching the kids and each other but I really got nothing. My aunt and uncle live in the Ozarks and I'll confess as a kid they'd line us all up and go head to toe and usually turn one up. No kidding you could apply bug spray like shellac but those darn things would find a home between your toes or behind the ear.

On the plus side in the teen years it gave the excuse to get naked and look at each other...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »
Yea. We have to use the Off spray. 40% deft.

Did you know that enough of that spray, settling down on the grass, will kill the grass.....yea. I never knew that until we had company over, and they sprayed themselves what I thought was excessive. Killed the grass in three spots.
Of course the grass was back in 3-4 weeks with no noticeable damage.

I usually just spray it on my clothes. Lift the pant legs and give a shot into my boots.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 03:26:27 PM »
Yup. Unfortunately the state of MN had to refund a few people for dead trees a couple years back. Funny thing is that they did systematic spraying too well and we still had the ticks.

I'll admit that I do soak the exterior of the house in bug repellent but demand nobody go outside for 3 days every spring. It seems to keep the nastiest at bay but we still will get the rare ant colony.

Bug spray is right up there with sun tan lotion for me. I use both when I need them but don't look me in the eye and tell me there's zero health risks.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 04:44:36 PM »
So is that what they sprayed, deet?

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 05:02:58 PM »
I honestly don't know. It was cheaper for the state to just cut checks than go through each claim. My admittedly uninformed opinion is that they didn't mix it properly and it killed a lot of foliage. My in-laws got 2 new trees and a few others I know did as well.

People were sore but at the end of the day a few guys got the wrong dosing instructions. Just a mistake. People were sore for a bit.

There is a little something odd about having the state spray for bugs and then tell me the pilliated woodpecker is protected...