Author Topic: "Miracle Mineral Solution": FDA reminds us (again) to not drink bleach  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

  • Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • *******
  • Posts: 15295
  • Karma: 1878
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Chlorine dioxide is great in tiny amounts for water purification -- not so great for drinking in quantity to cure disease.

FDA, 8/12/19: FDA warns consumers about the dangerous and potentially life threating side effects of Miracle Mineral Solution

...Since 2010, the FDA has warned consumers about the dangers of Miracle or Master Mineral Solution, Miracle Mineral Supplement, MMS, Chlorine Dioxide (CD) Protocol, Water Purification Solution (WPS) and other similar products. Miracle Mineral Solution has not been approved by the FDA for any use, but these products continue to be promoted on social media as a remedy for treating autism, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and flu, among other conditions. However, the solution, when mixed, develops into a dangerous bleach which has caused serious and potentially life-threatening side effects. ...

More info: Danger: Don’t Drink Miracle Mineral Solution or Similar Products

...Websites selling Miracle Mineral Solution describe the product as a liquid that is 28 percent sodium chlorite in distilled water. Product directions instruct people to mix the sodium chlorite solution with a citric acid, such as lemon or lime juice, or another acid before drinking. In many instances, the sodium chlorite is sold with a citric acid “activator.” When the acid is added, the mixture becomes chlorine dioxide, a powerful bleaching agent.

Both sodium chlorite and chlorine dioxide are the active ingredients in disinfectants and have additional industrial uses. They are not meant to be swallowed by people.

Drinking any of these chlorine dioxide products can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and symptoms of severe dehydration. Some product labels claim that vomiting and diarrhea are common after ingesting the product. They even maintain that such reactions are evidence that the product is working. That claim is false. ...

More info about chlorine dioxide use for water purification:

U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine, Mar 2006: Chlorine Dioxide Disinfection in the Use of Individual Water Purification Devices

...Chlorine dioxide and its byproducts, chlorite and chlorate ion can result in adverse health effects when consumed at large enough quantities.  The EPA regulates chlorine dioxide and chlorite ion in drinking water for systems using chlorine dioxide for disinfection. ... The most common adverse health effects of chlorine dioxide and chlorite ion are oxidizing effects seen in the blood, either as methemoglobinemia or hemolytic anemia.  Children, infants, and fetuses, a more susceptible subpopulation may experience adverse neurotoxic effects. ...

The use of “stabilized chlorine dioxide” products for IWPD use may expose the user to significant chlorite concentrations.  The “activation” of stabilized chlorine dioxide (i.e., sodium chlorite) with an acid can result in high levels of chlorite remaining after activation and relatively low chlorine dioxide concentrations....

...high concentrations of chlorite ... may cause adverse health effects when ingested and also has no disinfection capability....

Offline iam4liberty

  • Survival Veteran
  • ********
  • Posts: 5263
  • Karma: 366
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: "Miracle Mineral Solution": FDA reminds us (again) to not drink bleach
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 06:31:51 PM »
The Dead Milkmen are more effective messengers than FDA.   ;)

Offline Hurricane

  • Survivalist Mentor
  • *****
  • Posts: 589
  • Karma: 17
Re: "Miracle Mineral Solution": FDA reminds us (again) to not drink bleach
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 04:17:47 PM »
can result in adverse health effects when consumed at large enough quantities.

That applies to an awful lot of things that are otherwise OK. It's why so many things have been listed as carcinogens, too.