Author Topic: Arctic  (Read 1262 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Arctic
« on: August 17, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »
I must recommend a survival story film I enjoyed last night. Arctic is an incredible story.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6820256/

I'm not recommending because it was great but because it is the first time I've seen a survival story where the hero does everything right. It's not the usual stranded archetype. This guy clearly knows what he is doing. It takes someone experienced in cold weather to see but at every turn he makes the best choices in an incredibly grim situation.

Be warned it is essentially one man against the elements so there is little dialogue beyond him cursing his luck but if there was a manual for arctic survival you could do worse than watching this movie.

I'm avoiding all spoilers and his decisions and tactics are what make the film. He does a couple things I wouldn't think of.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Arctic
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 05:05:17 PM »
Thanks, I usually avoid fiction but seeing as you say it's full of good survival tips I'll buy it on your recommendation..:)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »
The map management and "where to find survivor" tags alone are worth the view. I'm not ruining anything by telling that he leaves notes of his travel intentions markered on the side of his downed aircraft.

It's not an easy watch. It's pretty grim. But at every point something goes wrong he stops and reasseses. That was almost mind blowing. I've lived cold climate my whole life and what he did in the last scene would never in a million years occur to me but you see it and it makes complete sense.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »
Well I just watched my new Arctic DVD and although it was entertaining, the script annoyingly didn't tell us how long he'd been waiting for rescue at the plane crash site, whether he'd filed a flight plan, how far he was from civilisation etc.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 04:14:47 PM »
Just watched the movie. It was great. Happens that I just finished reading "Deep Survival" about two days ago. A lot of stuff in the book was brought out in the movie. Had a friend a few years back that was a bush pilot in Alaska. He told me flight plans are good for when you start and when you should finish but many times planes had to fly around major storms which put them off their flight plan. It was not uncommon to find wreckage that had been missing for many years. 

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 06:39:31 AM »
I suppose the biggest dilemma for anybody in a plane crash like this is whether to stay with the wrecked plane or try to walk out.
I know we're told that the standard thing is to stick with the plane, but I suppose it depends on factors like where you are, what the climate is like, food, water and shelter availability etc.
Personally I'd stick with the plane for a reasonable time (days or weeks) depending on the above factors, and would only begin walking out when I HAD to.