Author Topic: Amazon: Broadside  (Read 706 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Amazon: Broadside
« on: June 05, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
Broadside is a sort of docudrama where the story entails the history of the Dutch and English wars to control the seas and colonial trade. As Americans we know New York was originally New Amsterdam but the history is lacking.

It's a very technical thing that shows ships of the line strategy and who built this or that ship to outflank the other. My polite way of saying it's a little bland. But if you, like me, are fascinated by the history and maybe more importantly the technology and how different ships were employed you might enjoy.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Amazon: Broadside
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 03:04:53 PM »
If you're into colonial era Dutch navy, check out "The Admiral" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2544766/
It's foreign language (Dutch) with english subtitles, but was pretty interesting to me.

I've got into sailboats a bit in the past few years and now really appreciate the tactical genius of Naval commanders in the age of sail.  With self-propelled vehicles, they general go where you steer them.  That's not always true in a sailboat.  The formations, tack and point of sail were very intentional and could upset the balance in a naval battle.

Minor technical advances, such as accurate mechanical clocks, and weather forecasting were as important to them as radar and encrypted computer networks to us.