Author Topic: potted meat  (Read 337 times)

Offline Carver

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
potted meat
« on: January 31, 2020, 09:51:29 PM »
This is an old method of preserving meat and new to me. The products on the shelf today using that name do not have much in common with the original recipes. This might be a very valuable technique to learn. I see the similarity between this and headcheese, pemmican and similar cooked meat sausages.

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: potted meat
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 04:48:56 AM »
Yes, it's basically just pressure canning the meat. It has to be pressure canned and not the water bath canning method.
My wife has used this method for a variety of things like meatloaf, whole quail, and stuffed green peppers.
We used it in order to have long term storage that didn't require freezing. A side benefit is the meat products are cooked during the canning process so all you have to do is open it up and heat it up in the microwave, quick and easy meal.
FYI, I have eaten a pressure canned stuffed green pepper that was over 2 years old. It tasted great.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 05:05:59 AM »
Potted meat is not canning. What it is is larding in cooked meat. basically you cook the meat then put a layer of hot  lard in a bucket. Put a layer of .net ,being careful that it doesn't touch any other pieces.Then another layer of hot lard. Repeat tell you get to the top.
 If you do it right with no meat touching each other and no air pockets the meat.Will keep awhile. Must be stored in a cool place so that the lard doesn't soften and meat move.
 Not a great way but another way to store meat.

Offline Carver

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 07:27:49 AM »

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »
Yes like that.I was just doing that off the top of my head.

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 08:58:15 AM »
Okay, my mistake. I hadn't heard the term before and the first results that popped up during a Google search was calling it canned meat.
At first glance, it looks as labor intensive as canning, but doesn't have the longevity and ease of storage that canning does. It is another method, but think I'll stick to canning.
Good question though as it is another option that a lot of people (like myself) aren't aware of.

Offline Carver

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 10:14:04 AM »
Easy mistake to make, I hadn't heard of it either. From what I can tell the commercial version is cooked meat put in a blender. The homemade version, such as demonstrated in The Jon Townsends Youtube channel, sounds quite good. I can see doing that instead of canning when you're talking about small portions. It is also very similar to the headcheese that I make.