Author Topic: Canning Jar Crates  (Read 608 times)

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
Canning Jar Crates
« on: August 17, 2019, 11:59:55 AM »
Got any good designs for canning jar storage?  Boxes?  Crates?  Totes?  How & where?

When they're full, ours go directly on the shelves in the pantry.
When empty, they go in boxes, either stacked in a closet or under the bed in the spare room.
After jars are filled and go to the pantry, DW has started throwing away the cardboard boxes that they come in.  This becomes a problem when they are emptied and need to depart the kitchen!    ???  I think she's hinting that I need to build those crates sooner than later.

How are you storing your empties?

Have you made any crates?  If so, out of what?  I'm thinking about upcycling some pallets, but they might make for pretty heavy crates.  Probably ok though.

stwood made some nice ones shown in this post:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.msg677038#msg677038

What are some of y'all's ideas?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Canning Jar Crates
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
I just use the boxes they came in. If I run out of empty boxes I re-shuffle full jars in the partial full boxes.

And yeah Stwood has a pretty much full blown wood shop. I'm a hobbyist.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 05:45:09 PM »
Hi scoob. Yes, I make them out of whatever scrap, oddball pieces are laying around. I try to stay with 1/2" whatever so they won't feel like lifting concrete.  ???

Of course pints are different than quarts. Just measure up your cardboard boxes and go from there. I gave mine and extra 1/4" width and length I think.
Hand holes make them better, but not totally necessary

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
I have found that the boxes sent by Honeyville Grain or the like that hold 6 #10 cans will hold 15 quart jars.  They are also pretty heavy duty boxes, so they can hold the full jars as well.

If I can 60 jars of chicken broth, I will keep 3 boxes full (so I can double stack on my shelves) and leave the other 15 jars out.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 01:51:24 PM »
I am totally of grid . The cardboard boxes last 3 years at best before humidity kills them . Could I build crates? Yes but if I don't deal them or even if I do they form mold. So I buy a few JARBOXS along. They are pricey but hold up.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 02:33:10 PM »
I am totally of grid . The cardboard boxes last 3 years at best before humidity kills them . Could I build crates? Yes but if I don't deal them or even if I do they form mold. So I buy a few JARBOXS along. They are pricey but hold up.
Those must be the molded plastic ones??

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 04:55:31 PM »

off grid... and back East?  here in Utah, nothing dies of humidity! :)

I looked and it looks like you are in Tennessee.  I was right ;D
I miss the trees and green and rain back east, but every so often, I am reminded of why moving back there would just be different!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:00:50 PM by Morning Sunshine »

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 08:30:36 AM »
Couple thoughts...

Make them modular so they stack. You want the bottoms to nest into the tops. That way they are very stable.

Really think about handles. Some like a simple drilled hole, some like a routed oval, some like ropes they can carry with an ergonomic hook (grandpa did this because he only had one hand). If you make your own you can even build one grip coming up from the center so you can one hand carry.

Consider skeletonizing. Drill holes to reduce weight and have removable dowels or boards inserted to accommodate different sized jars.

When you build "ground up" it's worth taking the time to design what you actually want. If you are just looking for a way to organize jars on a shelf a classic design might be best. But if you see it as a multi-tasker that maybe helps with picking apples or tomatoes or even be a utilitarian do-all a different design might be best.

Also take the time to consider wood. For projects like this I like a wood that wears well like cedar.

Good luck!

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 06:00:06 AM »
I glued up some from plywood.  They are a bt of work and you need the jig.  If I made more, and I need to, I would put a corner strip in and nail to it with the brad nailer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/4696671796/in/album-72157625805584831/

The link above has a picture of the completed box I made.  There are some other pictures in the group at the following link.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/4696671796/in/album-72157625805584831/

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 07:30:50 PM »
I glued up some from plywood. 

Those should hold up ok. Looks like you glued all joints.

I made my boxes a shade taller than the jars. All jars are not equal in height, and my first few boxes had lower sides than the jars (saving material) and I found out that the next box would not sit on top of the jars and box underneath it flatly.