Author Topic: Maine retirement idea  (Read 346 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Maine retirement idea
« on: August 31, 2019, 02:09:09 PM »
Here is my idea on how to retire cheaply as possible in Maine if that where necessary etc. I currently have a yurt with a wood stove and 11 acres, plus a 20 foot steel storage container. The yurt is not insulated enough for winter and can’t have air conditioning. Maine however doesn’t get super hot.

I would have a sizable hard top truck camper, bigger than the one I have now but not super huge. When it was cold out in the winter or I needed air conditioning, I could hang out in the truck camper which would have a furnace and a smaller area to heat. Possibly I would use a generator to power the air conditioner. Campers also have refrigerators that run on propane so that is perfect as well. Besides that, I have my 60 quart cabelas cooler which can hold 2 or 3 blocks of ice plus food and is one of those coolers with extra insulation like a yeti

A truck camper is ideal because you can park at the beach or anywhere and only take up one parking space. I could spend time at the ocean in the camper or even work online if I could find remote type work and work out of the camper parked near some WiFi connection. You could do some seasonal camping near the ocean. I imagine perhaps I would spend the coldest months of January and February in Florida or someplace with the camper. I would not need to spend the entire winter away down south, just the colder part. That way if I was playing in a band or what not I would not be away half the year. It would also mean I wouldn’t need to cut as much firewood and the cost of staying in Florida would also be less for only a couple of months. I think however that would take a huge chunk out of the hardship that is winter in Maine

I think I would also need an ATV at my camp because moving any amount of firewood or dirt for gardening back into the property is difficult otherwise. There are many ATV trails in the area as well
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:36:26 PM by surfivor »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Maine retirement idea
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 08:02:55 AM »
I'm just thinking that you would want something more substantial for long-term living. Perhaps after you retire (if you are still pretty physically fit), you could consider building yourself a more permanent (and better insulated) home there on your land?

Your other plans sounds good for the time when you are building, but you'll enjoy your retirement a lot more if you have running water, heat and cooling capability and some sort of solar power, etc.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 04:01:44 PM »
Probably solar, but that is just a worse case scenario that I described depending on economic factors

A best case scenario might be that I get a bigger truck camper and keep my current house

Down from that is I sell my house, buy a camper and maybe buy a house with land north of Bangor Maine

The next cheaper option down from that is having the camper and living at my current camp part of the time

Online Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 04:24:07 PM »
Would you be able to have someone watch over your 11 acres while in Florida?
If you had a ATV and stuff there, it would be wide open for taking

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
I have a storage container, a wood stove, chain saw and a few things, 11 pound propane tank outside . In 9 years I’ve never even seen signs of anyone even on my land. Last year I thought I saw tracks in the snow but on closer look it appeared to be bear tracks.

Maine just had a murder, a shooting and two stabbing in some smaller cities but my camp is pretty far in the woods. I spend some weekends and most vacations there but sometimes I am not there for a whole month
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:25:46 PM by surfivor »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »
I know  A hermit who lives out in the woods In Maine. He says down in Florida there are many transient people out in the woods and swamps but the winters in Maine seem to discourage that. For that reason he seems to prefer living in his little shack in Maine

There are a whole bunch of camps that are much nicer than mine way back in the woods and no one is hardly ever there but those camps seem to be left alone

A tank that was used for storing sap to make maple syrup was stolen from down the road but it was sitting right next to the road so someone just load it in their truck after they pull right up to it
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:38:59 PM by surfivor »

Online Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 05:37:37 PM »
I have a storage container, a wood stove, chain saw and a few things, 11 pound propane tank outside . In 9 years I’ve never even seen signs of anyone even on my land. Last year I thought I saw tracks in the snow but on closer look it appeared to be bear tracks.

Maine just had a murder, a shooting and two stabbing in some smaller cities but my camp is pretty far in the woods. I spend some weekends and most vacations there but sometimes I am not there for a whole month

Thats good. I suppose your container doors still have the original latching system. A good, close, round padlock on there that they cannot get a bolt cutter on and you should be fine.