Author Topic: Opinions on Weather alert Radios?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Opinions on Weather alert Radios?
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
I am looking into getting a weather alert radio with the NOAA/SAME alert feature. Anyone have any and have an opinion you would like to share?

What I have been looking at:
-First Alert Public Alert Radio with S.A.M.E
-First Alert WX-17 Weather & Aler?t Radio - 7 Weather channel
-Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio
-Ambient Weather WR-090 Emergency Pocket AM/FM/WB Weather Alert Radio with Digital Tuner and Flashlight
-Midland HH54VP2 Portable Emergency Weather Radio with SAME
-???

Bonnieblue2A

Re: Opinions on Weather alert Radios?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:36:35 PM »
I have an older portable RadioShack with NOAA/SAME. I've probably had it for at least 9 yrs.   Runs on A/C and 9v. and when turned up all the way will wake the dead.

I also have at least 2 different weather Apps on my iPhone 3G, one of which also has the weather radio built in feature. I have used that weather radio on the road when I've been driving long distances.  So, the phone apps serve the pocket weather alert/radio function for me.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »
Sangean CL-100.

I can't honestly remember why I chose this one after our ancient Midland quit working, but I read a bunch of online comments and specs and stuff before buying.  We've had it for a couple of years, and I'm satisfied with it.  Programming it is a bit annoying, and the buttons and user interface are not intuitive, but once it's set up, it does what it's supposed to do.  (It's also an alarm clock and AM/FM radio, but I don't use those features.)

I really like being able to silence specific types of alarm.  (Some people need Severe Thunderstorm Warnings in advance, but for us, the thunderstorm issues its own audible warning soon enough!)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »
thanks for the tips, not sure if i want to get a sit down type or a mobile type.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:32:39 PM »
Baofeng uv-5r

WOW this little radio is really supper , you can program in everything .
Ham, murs, cb, cell phones , there only about 45 to 50 $
I Have mine programed to local fire , weather , Ham chanels, but i could get in some real trouble if i wanted to.
It needs a better ant but there 18 $ .

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:26:21 AM »
What I have been looking at:
-Ambient Weather WR-090 Emergency Pocket AM/FM/WB Weather Alert Radio with Digital Tuner and Flashlight

My review of the essentially the same radio:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=41014.msg459987#msg459987

It's a bare-bones unit, doesn't have SAME but the weather alert feature works well.  It's very limited, mainly by its 3xAAA power.  If it's just for occasional use, it may be enough.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:41:52 PM »
thanks Alan and 4bull

Offline Jerry D Young

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »
I can highly recommend the Oregon Scientific line of weather radios.

I have a WR-108 that has been running 24/7 since late 2007 without a single problem.

I think the WR-601N is the newer model
http://www.oregonscientific.com/us/en/Emergency-Portable-Weather-Radio-WR601N-P

And for emergency use, one of the few crank ups that actually has all the SAME/All Hazards alert features I intend to get a couple of the WR-203 radio/lights
http://www.oregonscientific.com/us/en/Advanced-Portable-Emergency-Alert-Radio-WR203-P

Just my opinion.

Offline PHOTOAGGIE

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Won't stop learning until I'm in the ground.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:05:04 PM »
We purchased a Midland HH54VP2 Portable Emergency Weather Radio last year.  http://www.amazon.com/Midland-HH54VP2-Portable-Emergency-Weather/dp/B003FGWF04/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380685655&sr=1-4&keywords=midland+weather+radio

In north Texas, a reliable weather radio comes in real handy.  I wanted something portable for camping or in case we had to bug out.  I have been very happy with this one.  It doesn't have many bells and whistles, but it does have SAME.  There are apparently issues with battery life for some people, but we have not encountered any thus far. 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 12:54:50 PM »
Sangean CL-100.

I can't honestly remember why I chose this one after our ancient Midland quit working, but I read a bunch of online comments and specs and stuff before buying.  We've had it for a couple of years, and I'm satisfied with it.  Programming it is a bit annoying, and the buttons and user interface are not intuitive, but once it's set up, it does what it's supposed to do. ...

Followup review, after owning it for 8 years:

The biggest issue has been that it occasionally locks up, and will ignore all alerts.  Sometimes you'll notice that the clock has also locked up, but usually it just silently fails, and the only clue is that the test alerts don't show up.  Rebooting (removing the AC power adapter AND the backup batteries) fixes the problem (and doesn't delete all your settings).

It saves a list of the most recent alerts, but with no timestamp, so you can't tell if the latest test alert was received this week or last year.

The LCD display was hard to read even when the unit was new, and now you can barely see it unless the room is quite dim.

Anyway, I'm sure that better weather alert radios have come out in the past 8 years.  But it does look like the Sangean CL-100 is still available for purchase, and I would recommend against buying one today.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 09:11:42 AM »
Well, I ended up getting a Midland HH54VP. Worked ok, but where I am at now it could not receive a signal, so I gave it to my brother in Texas. He really likes it sine it goes off quite often and warns him of weather problems in his area.
It did have problems with the power cord but Midland corrected that.