Author Topic: DIY water filtration and making activated charcoal  (Read 1990 times)

Offline PE

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
DIY water filtration and making activated charcoal
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »
I didn't have time to search to see if this was something someone already posted on, but I found a great paper on making a POU (point of use) water filter using activated charcoal you can make yourself.  I just happen to live in coconut country, so the best material available to make this is...guess what?  Coconut shells!  But I would think any hard wood would work.  The key is the activated charcoal.  The link is:   http://library.queensu.ca/ojs/index.php/ijsle/article/view/4244 .
It is a journal article from academia and was written so everyone could follow it.  Google it and shall be.  PE

edit: archer: fixed links.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:56:13 PM by Archer »

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
Re: DIY water filtration and making activated charcoal
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:19:09 AM »
Thanks very much for that pdf link.  I have noted in my article here about some of this, but the pdf suggest that sodium chloride (table salt) can be a chemical activator as well. What I have not gathered from the article just yet is this, will some of the activation chemical be released into the filtered water as a residue in parts per million. If so is it under harmful concentrations. I'll keep reading.

http://blog.larrydgray.net/2011/09/02/blue-gold-water-filtration-purification-flocculation-sedimentation-distillation-condensation-and-more/

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
It should be noted that the PDF uses Coconut Husk - which in my region (Central Kentucky) doesn't grow.  I would expect that in some regions this is a practical item,.. but here it isn't.

Good information though.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »
Camco water filters have doubled in price. I am wondering if the charcoal can be cleaned to remove the accumulated residue, which appears to be iron.