Author Topic: Air travel during turbulent times  (Read 706 times)

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
Air travel during turbulent times
« on: March 14, 2020, 09:00:11 AM »
Our airline sent us an email informing us of our options during the declared national emergency. It appears the only viable choice is re-schedule, no opportunity for a refund. Has to be within a year, this might not even be a good solution. How's anyone else dealing with this?

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Air travel during turbulent times
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »
We basically got the same offer. It's a holding pattern for now. The hope is that this blows over and we can take a fall vacation somewhere simple. We lost some money on our rentals and dealing with airlines is a pain but traveling now isn't in the cards.

I think it's going to require flexibility. Canning the Caribbean trip was the right thing to do and now we (hopefully) pivot to something like a city sightseeing trip later in the year.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »
Forgot to mention; the email said we are not to contact them concerning the flight any sooner than 72 hours before takeoff. That's not going to work. For now our plans are up in the air.
This might change everything:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-european-travel-ban-uk-ireland
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:04:33 PM by Carver »

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 04:29:13 PM »
If you paid by credit card, you should check if it had automatic travel insurance.  For example, my American Express covers refunds with "a government regulation or World Health Organisation recommendation not to travel because of an epidemic that takes place within 14 days before the start date of the insured journey"  See here: https://www.americanexpress.com/za/network/benefits/travel-insurance.html

In addition, you should check whether your ticket is for a refundable class.  Dont just assume that the generalized letter applies to your fare class.  Even if your ticket is a non-refundable one, often times you can still cancel up to 24 hrs before for a penalty fee - ussually $200.

You should also make sure that you didnt pay for travel insurance when buying the ticket.  Sometimes people buy it without noticing as Airlines tend to auto fill the check box when buying and you have to opt out.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
Thanks, gonna check that out.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 01:21:45 PM »
I should've titled the topic travel, not just air travel. I've been following a number of YouTube videos on RV'rs and some of the full time ones are stuck. Several overseas travelers also can't get home with closed borders. Some can't leave their pets and some of those countries won't let them cross the border without extensive veterinarian exams and paperwork. My friend in Minnesota had to cancel the horseback journey in the Ozarks as the ranch has closed for the summer. Some travelers with out-of-state plates are being stopped everywhere.

Meanwhile our air travel plans are up in the air, I'm not sure if we can get reimbursed for seat assignments.
At least gas is cheap, but I wonder how long that can last before the supply chain buckles.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 08:43:50 AM »
Looks like a hammer is coming.  But, remember, this does not negate any cancellation fee in the contract (usually $200).  It just means that they can't suspend refunds. 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/03/coronavirus-travel-airlines-must-give-refunds-not-vouchers-when-flights-are-axed.html
DOT: Airlines must give refunds — not just vouchers — when flights are axed amid coronavirus

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 10:04:45 AM »
How about we cancelled our flight? It's near impossible to reschedule within the required year when everything is unknown.