Author Topic: Long Term Water Storage, Here We Go Again! ?????  (Read 518 times)

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Long Term Water Storage, Here We Go Again! ?????
« on: September 03, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »
I really need some help from the water storage Guru's.  I cleaned my 55 gallon, PTFE drums with a pressure washer, Put in 2 cups of household bleach.  I then rolled the around so the bleach contacted all inner surfaces. Rinsed thoroughly with city water.  Then I added this:

This I filled each drum (read 6 barrels) with municipal water using a potable water hose, while ensuring the preserver was well mixed. I then sealed and covered each drum with a light blocking thick vinyl cover.  They are located on an inner wall of my garage off the concrete.  It's not climate controlled but the temp doesn't fluctuate greatly.

Fast forward a couple of years (recently) while doing an inspection I find Biofilm (somewhat clear, slimy film) in the drums.  :-\ :-\ :-\   Heck! I can store gas and diesel longer than this!

This was one hell of a lot of work for this to be the result...  I know am faced with the task of re-doing it.   

I have read/seen so much contradictory, regurgitated BS on YT and the internet that I'm about ready to vomit.  ;)

What did I do wrong?  What do I need to do different?  Where is the end all-ball solution ?

I really need some help here please.  Thanks very much!!
David
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:08:04 PM by Freedom Forged »

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Long Term Water Storage, Here We Go Again! ?????
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 05:36:44 AM »
Suggestions if you have any to offer please.  Thanks.
David

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 07:08:07 AM »
sorry, I cannot help.

My water storage is a 2000 gallon concrete tank buried near my well, it is in the system, so it fills directly from the well and then it cycles into the house.  I also have 30 or so gallon jugs in my food storage for short term, like a power outage.  I will use that only for washing or boil it before use.  But our needs have never gotten that far - as soon as the power is off for more than a minute, we have a routine which includes filling water pitchers in the kitchen and everyone going to the bathroom immediately before the water pressure drops.  Our power outages have not lasted more than 12 hours, and that was at night.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 07:16:33 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like you have a great system.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 09:40:38 AM »
Had a member here that hasn't posted in a long time, that was very knowledgeable on his water storage. Not sure where he's at.
We ourselves are still needing to learn more. We have a well, so aren't hot into storage issues right now.

Which reminds me, the water we do have stored, we need to check on.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 08:20:19 AM »
Additional Info:

I talked with a representative with Aquamira.  She was very helpful and took the time to hear my concerns and possible solutions.  She listened to me explain the procedure I went through to store my water and said my steps were exactly what they recommend.  She was familiar with biofilm and we talked about its existence in water sources including municipal water. We also talked about the other million things that could be/would be in municipal water tanks, lines and pumps.  Kinda scary really. 

She suggested that test the water I have stored so I purchased this kit at Home Depot.

You can see all of the various things it tests for. 

I ran the test on my storage over the weekend and all 13 test points were within passing parameters.  Being satisfied with the test result I drew about 12 ounces and drank it all.  It was a little flat but other than that it's a thumbs up.

The test results gave me more confidence in my water storage but I still feel that if you have the ability to purify stored water IE; Berkey, Alexapure etc it sure couldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:38:55 AM by Freedom Forged »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »
Sounds good that it seems to be ok.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 06:44:01 PM »
Additional Info:

I talked with a representative with Aquamira.  She was very helpful and took the time to hear my concerns and possible solutions.  She listened to me explain the procedure I went through to store my water and said my steps were exactly what they recommend.  She was familiar with biofilm and we talked about its existence in water sources including municipal water. We also talked about the other million things that could be/would be in municipal water tanks, lines and pumps.  Kinda scary really. 

She suggested that test the water I have stored so I purchased this kit at Home Depot.

You can see all of the various things it tests for. 

I ran the test on my storage over the weekend and all 13 test points were within passing parameters.  Being satisfied with the test result I drew about 12 ounces and drank it all.  It was a little flat but other than that it's a thumbs up.

The test results gave me more confidence in my water storage but I still feel that if you have the ability to purify stored water IE; Berkey, Alexapure etc it sure couldn't hurt.

Interesting. I'm just starting to store water.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 08:06:50 AM »
Since you are storing water long-term, I would think having a Berkey would be a really good addition to your preps -- then you would be more secure, I'm thinking. We have drilled a well and are focusing more on having backup power for the well pump rather than water storage...

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »
A well with backup power makes the most sense.  Unfortunately my area is very rocky and well drilling comes at a premium.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »
...  Being satisfied with the test result I drew about 12 ounces and drank it all.  It was a little flat but other than that it's a thumbs up.
Did you try to aerate the water? If not, try drawing the 12 ounces again, only this time pour it into another glass, and back and forth several times. I have heard that this rejuvenates stale water.