Author Topic: Homemade Black Bean Burger Mix  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Homemade Black Bean Burger Mix
« on: September 05, 2019, 10:52:34 AM »
Stwood and I have been kicking this around some.

After comparing the ingredients in Augason Black Bean Burger Mix. The ingredients in this burger mix recipe

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/85452/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/

And the ingredients in this Black Bean Soup recipe which I have canned.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/black-bean-soup/

We was realized that there is very little difference between the burger mixes and the soup.

So a this thread is started for everybody else to comment on the idea, throw out their thoughts on mixes and canning the mix.

First thought is that the beans need to be cooked then ground. Then maybe use dehydrated bell peppers and onions. Leave out the egg and bread crumbs until ready to prepare. One question is how to can this. What about the cooked beans. Dehydrate and grind or mash and dehydrate.

Any thoughts on this undertaking are welcome.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Homemade Black Bean Burger Mix
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
It's a nit-pick but it's my thing... Looking at the soup recipe one thing stands out as a red flag to a trained cook. Why are the veggies just dumped into a boiling pot? I'd for sure fry them before adding the beans to release the flavors of the onions and peppers (I'd also add celery to get a proper southern Trinity) and add the beans to the already cooked veg. There are "dump and boil" recipes (split pea soup comes to mind) but I'd rather focus on building flavor with a soffrito and aromatic hits with caramelization. I could get on board with adding fresh jalapenos at the end of cooking but again, it's building on flavors all the time.

Just what stood out to me.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 12:24:24 PM »
Thanks for the input David. I've used Augason Dehydrated Peppers the times I've made the recipe for canning. Come out good. Doesn't mean it couldn't be better for freshly made eating or canning. Agree with building flavors, a proper Trinity would be excellent I think for the soup.

Any ideas about processing a mix for long term storage? Dry canning vs. normal canning?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »
We've been kicking around the cooking it all in a pot and canning.
Then processing all dry ingredients and dry can.

Wife thinks the beans need to be cooked before grinding (dry beans). ???
If we could grind dry and add to the ingredients?
If we went with canned beans, drain and dehydrate already cooked beans?

Just random questions on both ways.

I'd like to do this in a way to keep cost and processing time down.

Red, dry mix, I think we could add bread crumbs. Toast the bread then run through a blender or chopper?

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
I don't do a lot of canning. I do more dehydrating but this screams to me of a fresh dish. I think of one of my favorite Mexican dishes, fijoles charros. You have your soaked beans and fry the salsa in bacon fat before adding the beans. I have no idea why both Mexican and Italian cooking are so solid with developing unbelievable flavor in bean dishes and why "American" cooking always falls short. Drives me crazy.

If you really want to go nuts with a bean soup have it for breakfast on chiabatta with avocado, cheese, and a fried egg. You're having a Meican torta that smokes 99% of breakfast foods.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 04:00:40 PM »
 8)

Wife suggested doing a dry run, er, first time mix from the allrecipe link Red posted.
If we like it, the burger mix, then I think the most simple way would to break it down into a dry, jarred mix. Throw in some oxy packs and call it good. Put the egg in later?
We've never tried out our dehydrated eggs.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
We've been kicking around the cooking it all in a pot and canning.
Then processing all dry ingredients and dry can.

Wife thinks the beans need to be cooked before grinding (dry beans). ???
If we could grind dry and add to the ingredients?
If we went with canned beans, drain and dehydrate already cooked beans?

Just random questions on both ways.

I'd like to do this in a way to keep cost and processing time down.

Red, dry mix, I think we could add bread crumbs. Toast the bread then run through a blender or chopper?

My thought to make a storable mix would be to cook the beans, dehydrate and grind. Add the other dry ingredients including dehydrated egg perhaps and bread crumbs. Jar it in whatever jars are available with O2 absorber. I don't think canning jars would be necessary this way just lids that will seal.

Using canned beans would increase the cost IMO but if you include the cost of the energy to cook, I don't know still probably a little more expensive.

Bread crumbs. I cut the bread into 1/2" to 1" cubes, freeze until I have enough, toast in the oven at 350* and run through processor.

Going back to the Augason product it looks like the ingredients may be cooked then dehydrated, ground, and processed for storage needing only water added in order to use. Oh, Augason doesn't show egg as an ingredient.

Also thinking cook beans, puree in processor, add other ingredients except egg and bread crumbs, can wet. Add egg and bread crumbs when ready to use. Problem with that is canning purees. Would the heat penetration be sufficient to do the job? Reference canning squash puree in not recommended. This mixture would not be sufficiently acid to support WB canning.

Main thing is how to make a safe product that is easy to use.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
10-4 on safe.

I'm thinking pursue the dry packaging.
Make up Allrecipe's recipe, leave the egg out as Augason did?
Course as you say, egg could be added later. But I would pursue putting the bread in.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 06:08:57 PM »
Well Augason doesn't mention egg anywhere just add water. The bread crumbs should be OK if toasted. Yeah dehydrate, grind and dry package with O2 absorbers. Check the Augason ingredients. Second pic on the left. Hover on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Gluten-Free-Black-Burger/dp/B01NAVJ1UW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3RRJH3K2L6KBM&keywords=augason+black+bean+burger&qid=1567728436&s=gateway&sprefix=augason+b%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-2

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »
Comparing recipes, lots of differences.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 04:46:29 AM »
The Augason mix has rice, oats and yellow peas in it. Fillers? Could be. Xanthan gum is a thickner/binder, egg and breadcrumbs to do the same thing. I'm thinking you wouldn't want a homemade mix to be mushy tasting so coarsely ground or mashed. Here is another burger recipe. I suspect they will all be similar just differences is seasonings and none will be close to the Augason mix.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/best-black-bean-burgers/

I'm going to take some ideas from that recipe and use with the beans I canned a couple months ago.

Lots to wade through there. The recipe is at the bottom.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »
Fillers. Makes me think of naturally occurring fillers. Small, dark, rice like chunks.  ??? ;D

Just ck'ed our augason bb can. Looks like ground up off white color chunks (rice) and dark ground up chunks (beans I suppose).
Then there is some orange type particles, maybe pepper seeds.
And it has that bland, strong, mexican food flavoring smell.

I'll look that link up.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 05:26:05 AM »
Looked at the Augason ingredients again. The black beans are black beans and salt so that makes me think they have been cooked and dried. Dark rice like chunks could be rice that has taken on the color from the beans. Orange stuff, oats or yellow peas.

The more I think about it the more I'm coming to believe it would be a lot of work to create an Augason type mix. Cooking, drying and grinding. I think I'll play with some of the burger recipes using canned beans. Either mine or some Aldi beans I found on one of my shelves. Several reasons for that. It looks pretty labor intensive to make a dry mix. You would have to keep the ingredients stocked and if you wanted just beans to eat you'd need to have those on hand also. If you just have canned beans on hand you only need to add the stuff to make patties. With a little thought most of the seasonings could be cooked with the beans before canning so making burgers could be quickly done.

I'm going to give it a shot using what I have on hand, maybe the commercial beans then my beans which already have much of the ingredients in them. I made that Pioneer Woman recipe. I agree with David though. The next time I made it I'll add some celery to complete the cajun trinity.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
Sounds wife. Wife suggested a trial run also, mainly to see if we like the mix.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 06:17:44 AM »
Sounds wife.

???
Too much work down south?

Forgot the celery earlier. Uh, did get another 7 lb. black beans. I'll look at more recipes till I get some. I kinda like the idea of using canned beans for a dual purpose.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 08:22:13 AM »
???
Too much work down south?

:rofl: :rofl: Guess I was in a hurry when I typed that. Too late to edit it.  ::)

Had a thought this morning. 2-3-4 am?  ::) Refried beans are already prepared.
Remove and dehydrate? May change the flavor as most likely are not black beans.

Lookin at Aldi's refried beans, says beans. No specific bean, probably pinto?
Has garlic, pepper, and onion in the mix already.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
Yeah refried beans have possibilities. Most likely pintos but in Mexico they can be most any bean. My bucket of pintos has three shades of brown beans all were labeled pintos and are similar size. Well nothing new.  :rofl:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/southwest-pinto-bean-burgers-with-chipotle-mayonnaise

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 09:23:11 AM »
When I do my beloved frijoles charros or any other generic "cowboy beans" [and forgive a northerner his sins] I like to base it on Cajun Trinity and I tend to use 15 bean soup mixes. I like the different sizes and textures. Throw in some smoked anduille and a little pulled pork from the freezer and it's a bang up version of red beans and rice if not 100% accurate and a million southerners are now plotting my execution.

I don't know about canning or preserving. These are pretty basic shelf stable foods. Up to me I'd make the pork and beans, cheddar grits, and fried okra in corn meal. Mostly stuff from the pantry. But that's a satisfying meal no red blooded American would turn down. My wife LOVES it and I would not recommend coming between her and fried okra.

Just by changing the flavor a little these bean dishes go from Louisiana to Mexico to Texas to Arizona. Your Monday night black bean soup can be cooked down on Tuesday for refried beans on a taco with grilled steak and a garden salsa. Once you master this pattern the options are almost endless.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 09:51:02 AM »
Making your own charro beans is OK. When we go to a Mexican restaurant I never order them, flavorless.

My pintos are usually loaded up with onion sweated in lard. A central Texas Czech/Polish pork and beef sausage, garlic, salt and pepper. Works pretty well and wife likes it. Cooked either in chicken stock I have made and canned or spoonfuls of Knorr chicken, beef and tomato base in water.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »

Red we've decided to drop making up and storing the burger mix.
Cooking beans, then drying, then dut dut dut getting a mix vacuum packed isn't going to be worth the effort.
We'll just cook up some beans and make the mix, then eat them.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 07:26:12 AM »
Yeah that's a lot of work. The recipes I've read used canned beans and were cooked immediately. I suppose you could re-can the mix but still lots of trouble.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 12:25:21 PM »
I've heard of grinding beans for use in cooking, but never heard anything about cooking the beans first.  Here is a link to info I found:

https://www.superhealthykids.com/recipes/bean-flour/

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 03:43:45 PM »
I've heard of grinding beans for use in cooking, but never heard anything about cooking the beans first.  Here is a link to info I found:

https://www.superhealthykids.com/recipes/bean-flour/

Yes, interesting. Thanks.

We were wondering whether to grind beans, or cook and dehydrate.
We stalled out.  :D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 05:37:14 PM »
I'm thinking you should just store the beans whole until you want to use them and then use your grinder to make the bean flour when you want it... (or at least only grind up the amount you think you'll use fairly quickly). I think my Wondermill grain mill will work well for beans. I haven't done it yet, but it is on my list of things to do. I'm thinking that, as with grains, the beans will store better in their natural (unprocessed) state...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »
Yes, I've pretty well decided that would be best, as you say.

But as usual, when I dive into something, my mind tells me to mass produce and stock up. Then, sometimes I realize I'm about to screw up.  ;D

Our Country Living grinder shouldn't have a problem grinding them up.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »
But as usual, when I dive into something, my mind tells me to mass produce and stock up. Then, sometimes I realize I'm about to screw up.  ;D

Sounds like a plan, grind first and then cook. Oh that mass produce thing, that's my down fall.