Author Topic: Walmart to stop selling AR, handgun ammo  (Read 585 times)

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Walmart to stop selling AR, handgun ammo
« on: September 03, 2019, 12:45:21 PM »
Read about it here.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/09/03/walmart-stop-selling-ammunition-call-congress-new-laws/2198475001/

Basically Walmart will stop selling 5.56/.223 and all handgun ammo. It will be a big shift in ammo sales and I know several are trying to launch direct to consumer sales so the ammo retail world might be in for some changes soon.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Walmart to stop selling AR, handgun ammo
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:00:49 PM »
Why hand gun..........how many hand guns are .22
Probably few compared to others, but there goes the .22 ammo again.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 04:21:08 PM »
This will completely backfire on antiguners.  Just like California where people were buying a couple boxes at a time but because of bc's  stocked up on tens of thousands of rounds.  More people will now be buying bulk ammo online. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 04:27:36 PM »
I tend to agree.
Save your coins up and buy bulk, instead of the occasional box or 2 when you go shopping.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 05:11:32 PM »
I bought a 12ga riot gun at a local Walmart back in the late '90s, that was my first centerfire long arm.  By that time I think they were only selling long guns in my area of California, no handguns at all after '94ish, and it wasn't that many years later that they ceased selling all firearms.  I did continue to purchase Winchester White Box there from time to time, but honestly I have not been in a Walmart store for years and have no idea what they did after ammogeddon kicked in.

Offline scoop

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 05:46:57 PM »
I was there yesterday and picked up a couple of boxes of .30-30 Win for 9$ a box.

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 06:09:58 AM »
I just get a migraine when I try to parse policy. 5.56 NATO is deadly to humans even though it's a varmint round and 7.62 NATO isn't a hazard because it's a hunting round like the .30-06 that never saw combat action in say a BAR.

"Handgun ammunition" is even nuttier. I can get a handgun chambered in .22 or .45-70 Government. Yes, that's a rifle round but Magnum Research makes a revolver for it.

And let's just forget about shotguns altogether. A shotgun is a toy used to break clay and there is no way to harm another human with buckshot.

Of course, it being Walmart, you can just go further down the aisle to get an axe, a machete, duct tape, nitrile gloves, a baseball bat, and Hefty bags. This is complete nonsense.

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 11:08:01 AM »
I should add that I'm really unhappy with the narrative. We're signaling to every disaffected youth that this IS the rifle you use to take revenge on your classmates. It's so deadly Wlamart won't sell the ammo. This is literally creating the ideation of violence. It's become Robespierre's guillotine. We're telling people what it's for.

Now contrast that with my idea of the AR. It's a piece of plastic crap designed as a ranch rifle to control pests that the military adopted to hold back human wave attacks from the Soviets in the 60s. It has an almost useless and seemingly mouth operated charging handle and a vestigial forward assist that you've never used and drills ignore it. It shoots a mediocre round used to hunt prary dogs and is optimized for recoil so the most feeble old lady can shoot it.

Both these stories are true. One elevates the AR to the magic death ray of Poseidon and the other is a little more down to earth about the actual function. But if the only story to hit the papers with people who don't understand firearms is the magic death ray we are fighting uphill. Maybe it's because I'm an 80s kid and our action heroes used miniguns and M60s and would never be could dead with a chinsy AR. But we need that narrative back. I'm really scared that we're giving hotheaded kids the roadmap of violence.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
It's all going to backfire, somewhere, somehow.