Author Topic: Playing a podcast from the website using Firefox: Having problems?  (Read 183 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Playing a podcast from the website using Firefox: Having problems?
« on: September 18, 2019, 05:23:44 PM »
If you visit the main Survival Podcast blog/website, you can play the podcasts from your browser by clicking the "Play Now" or "Play in Popup" links, and then clicking the Play arrow in the media player that's displayed.

Firefox users who are using the latest Firefox update may have a problem here: you'll just see a black box and no Play arrow.  There's a workaround:

Short answer: just click the black box.  Firefox will ask you "Do you want to allow Adobe Flash to run on this site?"  Click "Allow" and the player will appear.  (This issue should be fixed in the next few days.)

Long answer:

Adobe Flash is obsolete and will be abandoned by Adobe at the end of 2020.  The current version of Firefox will refuse to run Flash unless you confirm that you want it.  Sometime in 2020, Firefox will stop supporting Flash entirely.

The TSP blog/website is still using antique podcast software which is hard-coded to use a Flash podcast player with Firefox only.  (Every other browser gets a nice modern HTML5 player.)

My project for this week is to replace the antique software with modern software.  Once I get that working, every browser will see HTML5, we won't have any more Flash on the site, and this problem will vanish.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Playing a podcast from the website using Firefox: Having problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
I did a quick test running FireFox - nightly build and did not see the pop up.

However, I do remember seeing that question from time to time when running my laptop on other sites.

Note: I run with the FireFox nightly build, a bit more bleeding edge than most people want to deal with.

thanks for your good work.