Author Topic: Free Chickens arn't free  (Read 546 times)

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Free Chickens arn't free
« on: September 17, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »
First questions on Automatic hen house doors. 
Anyone have experience with automatic hen house doors? 
Did you find it worth the investment? 
Did it take long for the chickens to learn to be in before it closes?  Or am I the only one who's chicken like to sit on the ramp and watch the sun set? 
Are the auto closers safe what should I watch for? 
Any other advise?

So Friday night of a busy weekend that I was extending with a vacation day I get a text from a coworker she got extra laying hens when she ordered meat birds do I want any.  The wife and I say sure.  That was quickly followed by "where are we going to put them?".  We had been planning on extending the chicken run and had an idea of a new larger coop, but not a full on plan.  Quick research and we only need half of the platform we have for the floor.  Great cut it here and we are off to the races.  No soon had the saw shutdown and we discovered we used the wrong number now I need to rebuild the super pallet (now in 2 5fot square pieces) back into its original shape and size.  it will be easier to lift into place this way, got to find a bright side.  We then clear the spot between the compost bin and the chick run and start to get level.  Designing on the fly we made some mistakes but nothing too serous.  Working until daylight was gone Saturday, Sunday and Monday with lots of interruptions and the chickens are in last night today the wife and kids are making it livable, but we have a serous chicken coop to add the "Free" chickens to my existing flock.  The old coop is still there to house the new birds while we get them used to each other. 
As we look closely at the 11 new birds and think, we realize that the chances are most if not all are Roosters.  They are 8 weeks old so we are looking at tails and comb.  I am guessing 3 Hens and the rest roo0sters.  Since we did not have a rooster we can lifve with one and learn the art of butchering and cleaning on the rest of them.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Free Chickens arn't free
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
Good luck! Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:19:00 PM »
Ayup......2 of our free goats were not free.....more fencing......

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »
and ALWAYS say no to a free llama.....  there is a reason the thing is free ???

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »
Lol. Karma for the llama advice

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 03:49:40 PM »
haha. I'm just wondering, MS, if you know this from personal experience???

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 06:11:32 PM »
haha. I'm just wondering, MS, if you know this from personal experience???

not exactly MY personal experience, but my neighbor.  H's husband said he was going to go LOOK at some pack goats, maybe - MAYBE - buy 3-4.  He came home with 6.  And a free llama.  A llama that had killed the neighbor's dog (to be fair, it was in its pen), and a number of coyotes.  This llama will not anyone near it, not for nothing.  H has a number of small children and she was NOT pleased  ::)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 10:11:25 PM »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 02:41:33 PM »
not exactly MY personal experience, but my neighbor.  H's husband said he was going to go LOOK at some pack goats, maybe - MAYBE - buy 3-4.  He came home with 6.  And a free llama.  A llama that had killed the neighbor's dog (to be fair, it was in its pen), and a number of coyotes.  This llama will not anyone near it, not for nothing.  H has a number of small children and she was NOT pleased  ::)

Sorry, but this did give me a chuckle. Reminds me a little of the old Smothers Brothers routine about how Tommy's chicken killed Dickie's dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfgrREmy68A